Serval Mesh on MSC (Divina)?

mikesteg

Has anybody had success (or failure) with Serval Mesh or a similar app on Divina? Here is a blurb for those not familiar:

It works by using your phone's Wi-Fi to communicate with other phones on the same network. Or even by forming impromptu networks consisting only of mobile phones. Mesh communications is an appropriate technology for complementing cellular networks. Think of it like two-way radio or CB radio that has been propelled into the 21st century. For long-range communications you will still need to make use of cellular or fixed telephone networks or the internet.

This software allows you to easily make private phone calls, send secure text messages and share files in caves, in subways, in the Outback, in Australia or Africa, in Europe or the United States -- even when cellular networks fail or are unavailable.

Apparently on many (most?) ships you can access the WiFi without a plan, and then point-to-point function work. Some ships only within router zones, and some ships not at all (though that could be user error). I am wondering if anybody has tried it on Divina, or MSC in general.

I have a couple devices that don't have service, or I can remove the SIM card, so I'm not worried about accidentally calling my wife and paying for Cellular at Sea (twice!). I am concerned about potentially having to sign onto the Wifi and then being billed for that. The idea of Serval Mesh would be to stay connected for extended periods, so that could be problematic.

Assuming I don't get an authoritative answer:

- Does MSC require you to have a package for WiFi or will they bill ad-hoc? ie: if I connect with 2 phones for 15 minutes, am I potentially going to have a $15 wifi bill (guessing ~50 cents per minute per device with no pre-paid plan)?

- If MSC bills ad-hoc, how long does it take to show up on the account on the TV? Minutes? Overnight? Possibly days?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by mikesteg

on the divina you can use the MSC Traveller Web to chat with other people on board, it does not require any sort of plan. it. also informs about excursions, the daily programm etc. I have not yet got a chance tonuse it myself but read good reviews about it.

Edited by plucasana

on the divina you can use the MSC Traveller Web to chat with other people on board, it does not require any sort of plan. it. also informs about excursions, the daily programm etc. I have not yet got a chance tonuse it myself but read good reviews about it.

It was seriously glitchty and slow when we tried using it last week. Worked but not well.