Help needed: Would love to go to Cassis from Marseilles

Karysa

I just saw pictures of Cassis (so pretty) and wondered if anyone knew if it was easy to visit via bus or train from Marseilles? Thanks for any help you can offer. i just booked our May cruise today and am feeling a little overwhelmed.:)

Oh ok. We are on Vista May 1-14. Thought if you were on that one we were booking a tour of cassis with boat ride to cliffs and then winery and tour of Marseille. You could have joined the 4 of us.

That would have been nice. Who are you booked with perhaps I can book them as well?

Hello,

It is difficult to acces by train or bus. Last year my husband and I arranged a full day outing to discover Cassis which included a short boat outing to see the cliffs and we also went to Aix en Provence to see the fabulous outdoor market. We contacted Nancy who is a local and she made all the arrangements.

Hello,

It is difficult to acces by train or bus. Last year my husband and I arranged a full day outing to discover Cassis which included a short boat outing to see the cliffs and we also went to Aix en Provence to see the fabulous outdoor market. We contacted Nancy who is a local and she made all the arrangements.

Thanks. The cruise line has a tour that I could join but I would really like a true DIY day if possible.

Thanks for the replies. We booked through the cruise line as one of the tours was 8 hours and included for hours free time for a boat tour/beach time. I thought that it would have been easier to go via train or bus but I just wasn't finding consistent information on that and given that we are going to be there on a Sunday I just thought that a tour would be an easier way to get the day we were looking for.

• 4 weeks later...

I'll see you on the bus then :) I agree that transport seems difficult, especially in a Sunday. After getting stuck in Calais several years ago, I don't want to rely on local transport or assistance and will stay with the shore excursion offered.

There are lots of short boat trips going from the Old Port of Marseille going to Cassis via the incredible cliffs called Les Calanques which are a world heritage site. Don't forget to try the Cassis white wine!

We're interested in the same thing and are still debating between a car tour or a boat tour direct from Marseille to Cassis when we go in September.

Right now, leaning towards the boat trips that leave from Marseille Vieux Port. They're about 3 - 4 hours trips that take you through the calanques between Marseille and Cassis and back. Seems more reasonably priced than a bus/private car tour. Check out Bleu Evasion and Turquoise Calanques. They have boats that can take about 8 people.

Also we found Croisieres Marseille Calanques and it looks like you can just buy tickets when you arrive (at least 30 minutes beforehand) and hop on-board their boat tour....only caveat is that I don't think they speak English.

Let us know what you end up doing. I agree - the pictures are beautiful.

• 4 weeks later...

Interested as well for a cruise in June... Is the "Old Port of Marseille" something you can walk to from the cruise dock? Or do we need transportation from the cruise into the city to get to this location, and can then purchase boat trip tickets directly from the vendors?

Getting excited but lots of pressure to get everything planned, and have already spent a lot on other excursions so DIY is sounding pretty good to me now!

I saw your post above about Sept. May I ask, what ship are you on? I'm on Emerald Princess 9/3-17. I'm a solo senior.

I'm interested in doing the boat trip too, but would love to have a "buddy" for the day -- just so someone else knows where I am.

I really wanted to do the Pont de Gard excursion, but can't do all the walking in Avingon.

I saw your post above about Sept. May I ask, what ship are you on? I'm on Emerald Princess 9/3-17. I'm a solo senior.

I'm interested in doing the boat trip too, but would love to have a "buddy" for the day -- just so someone else knows where I am. :)

I really wanted to do the Pont de Gard excursion, but can't do all the walking in Avingon.

There are lots of short boat trips going from the Old Port of Marseille going to Cassis via the incredible cliffs called Les Calanques which are a world heritage site. Don't forget to try the Cassis white wine!

Bandol Wine- Do you have any boat trip vendors you would recommend? We will be on the Carnival Vista on June 30 in port from 9:00-18:00. Thank you!

I'm interested in doing the boat trip too, but would love to have a "buddy" for the day -- just so someone else knows where I am. :)

Hi DRS/NC -

We're on the Norwegian Epic (9/25-10/2). If we were on the same cruise, we would love for you to join us. Alas, it isn't so.

Did you check your roll call to see if anyone else was interested in the boat trip? Good idea to have a buddy!