Hamburg, Germany

gkrnjlr

Hi, from your description I would say you were docked at Altona last time. I'm afraid Steinwerder is nothing like as convenient. It is on the other side of the river opposite Altona, behind the Blohm & Voss shipyard. I must admit to being a little surprised at that being chosen as the site for a cruise terminal. At present the only public transport is the cross river ferry a fair walk away and taxis or you can walk through the Old Elbe Tunnel under the river . There is nothing on the official web site about transport except, and I quote, 'connections to the HVV public transport network are in the planning'. Their boast that it is right in the heart of Hamburg is quite true but the river cuts that heart in two, city on one side and docks on the other and unlike the other two terminals Steinwerder is in the dock area.

It is very early days yet though and I suspect that the cruise lines will run shuttles and the HoHo buses will put it on their routes.

The terminal is not yet marked on most maps but the tunnel and the shipyard are so that should give you some idea.

Happy cruising :)

Anni

http://www.travelanni.webs.com[/QUOTe

What a shame that the terminal is not as convenient as last time. Is it possible to give me some idea as to the length/time of walk going under the tunnel and length/time of walk from ship to the ferry point to take us across the river?

I do hope that some sort of cruise shuttle is provided to take us to the centre.

Thank you for your replies

The german MSC web site says that MSC will provide a shuttle between Hamburg central railway station and Steinwerder.

Thank you. I thought they might.

For first time visitors:- the main shopping street (Monckebergstr.) starts at the Central railway station (Hamburg Hbf.) and leads directly into the city centre and the famous Town Hall (Rathaus) From the Hbf you can take the s-Bahn or u-Bahn to other destinations in the city. All the HoHo buses have stops there too.

Happy cruising :(

Anni

http://www.travelanni.webs.com

Travelanni,

On the HOHO bus site, http://www.die-roten-doppeldecker.de/en/sightseeing-tours/hop-on--hop-off.html , it shows the bus has different frequency for Mon-Thurs (bus runs every 30 minutes) and Fri-Sun/Bank Holidays (bus runs every 20 minutes). We will be at Hamburg on 5/5/16, is that a bank holiday?

Thank you.

The german MSC web site says that MSC will provide a shuttle between Hamburg central railway station and Steinwerder.

Thank you for that information sfmh and thank you Travelanni for all of your advise and recommendations