Shore excursion Naples

maurs_hunny

Hi there. First cruise this June on Msc Fantasia .. Boat arrives 11.00 then departs 18.00. I understand that we will be required back on board at 17.00. We had wanted to go to Sorrento but with the train taking an hour and the hydrofoil leaving at 11.00, can anyone let me know if they have done the train option and had plenty of time in Sorrento ?

Hi there. First cruise this June on Msc Fantasia .. Boat arrives 11.00 then departs 18.00. I understand that we will be required back on board at 17.00. We had wanted to go to Sorrento but with the train taking an hour and the hydrofoil leaving at 11.00, can anyone let me know if they have done the train option and had plenty of time in Sorrento ?

Yes I've done the train to Sorrento and back in a similar time frame. I didn't have that much time,e there but that was because my cousin reneged on our deal. She wanted to go to Pompeii (I didn't) and I wanted to go to Sorrento. The train to Sorrento also stops at Pompeii and we were only meant to be at Pompeii fro 90 minutes but she has no sense of time and would not be moved along. With hindsight, she should have gone to Pompeii and I should have gone to Sorrento!

Cheers for that.... Very rude of your cousin!! My party only want to go to Sorrento as we have already been to Pompeii....so no issues there. Let's just hope we get off the boat quickly!!! And not the hours that I have read about

IT didn't take us very long to get off the ship. We just gave it a little time to allow the initial rush of shorex passengers to get off and the eager beavers. It's a,aging what a difference 20 minutes makes!

Our only "problem" was walking the gauntlet of the taxis inside the port gates. They were a tad aggressive and tried to tell us we'd be just as cheap,with a taxi as the train! None wanted to take us on a short trip to the train station (I'd forgotten the directions!). However as soon as we cleared the port gates, completely different story, had no issue hailing a taxi just to take us to the station.

We used a private driver which had several advantages - he could pull right up to wherever we wanted to go (I was shopping for pottery) and we had lots of time in both Positano and Sorrento! Really, it was not all that expensive, either as we shared with 2 other couples via our roll call. I would recommend you consider that option just so you can get a lot of time on the Amalfi Coast.

We used a private driver which had several advantages - he could pull right up to wherever we wanted to go (I was shopping for pottery) and we had lots of time in both Positano and Sorrento! Really, it was not all that expensive, either as we shared with 2 other couples via our roll call. I would recommend you consider that option just so you can get a lot of time on the Amalfi Coast.

Cheers SuiteTraveller,

I am looking into using a private driver.... but now im worried as my daughter gets car sick...and I too have gotten car sick on that same road....so just weighing up the pros and cons.... not sure too many people will want to join us on a trip with two kids and one that spews....

Cheers SuiteTraveller,

I am looking into using a private driver.... but now im worried as my daughter gets car sick...and I too have gotten car sick on that same road....so just weighing up the pros and cons.... not sure too many people will want to join us on a trip with two kids and one that spews....

I can understand why you all get carsick with all the curves and bends in that road.

Maybe you should do something else? Have you thought of going to the Royal Palace of Naples? It's absolutely beautiful with many interesting objects inside including a wax bust of Marie Carolina of Austria - Marie Antoinette's sister - it's rather creepy looking, LOL! The palace is pretty much always under restoration, so you only get to see half of it, but that is still a lot of it as it is massive and you also get to see the fabulous gardens and it's only 4 Euros per person - I believe children's tickets are less. The great thing is you don't have to stick to some roped off trail in the palace and can wander freely. You could stop for some treats at Gran Caffe Gambrinus - it's next door to the palace and absolutely gorgeous as well - very Art Deco.

Or you could go to the National Archeological Museum in Naples and see all the stuff that was taken out of Pompeii. That is interesting as well.