Calabaza vs. Silver Moon

TravlGrl

Hello all! For those who've snorkeled with turtles in Barbados and done the excursion with both Calabaza and Silver Moon, which was your favorite, and why?

We are currently booked with Calabaza, but considering changing. Since this could be our only time in Barbados ever, we want to make this an unforgettable experience and hopefully get to a snorkel spot not overrun by people. Not sure if the company we choose would make an impact on that, so I'm checking for feedback here from anyone who's had experience with both companies.

Thanks in advance!

I know you're asking for answers from someone that's been with both companies and I hope they'll respond but until then, I thought I would reassure you that you didn't make any mistakes by choosing Calabaza.

We just did a cruise that included an excursion with Calabaza and all I can say is it was the best catamaran tour we've ever done. Gina and her crew provide a fantastic experience.

I know you're asking for answers from someone that's been with both companies and I hope they'll respond but until then, I thought I would reassure you that you didn't make any mistakes by choosing Calabaza.

We just did a cruise that included an excursion with Calabaza and all I can say is it was the best catamaran tour we've ever done. Gina and her crew provide a fantastic experience.

Thank you! Were you taken to an area with loads of other snorkelers? A friend from our roll call (we don't sail for a year) just went with Calabaza and said they were in the water with so many other people, and that her previous experience with Silver Moon was much better because they were taken to an area with very few other people. She also said the snorkel/fins were of better quality, as was the food with Silver Moon. We have decided if we'll be bringing our own snorkel/fins.

This is why I'm looking for some additional feedback. I realize the experiences are going to be all over the board, so I'm glad to hear you feel like I really can't go wrong with my current reservation, but wondering if anyone else has some comparisons as that feedback could have just been a fluke.

Thank you! Were you taken to an area with loads of other snorkelers? A friend from our roll call (we don't sail for a year) just went with Calabaza and said they were in the water with so many other people, and that her previous experience with Silver Moon was much better because they were taken to an area with very few other people. She also said the snorkel/fins were of better quality, as was the food with Silver Moon. We have decided if we'll be bringing our own snorkel/fins.

This is why I'm looking for some additional feedback. I realize the experiences are going to be all over the board, so I'm glad to hear you feel like I really can't go wrong with my current reservation, but wondering if anyone else has some comparisons as that feedback could have just been a fluke.

We have done the same trip with Nick Knowles of Calypso and it was the best ever..From the moment you get on his catamaran you do not lift a finger..they make sure you have a drink at all times..The food was absolutely delicious and he helped me snorkel the correct way..We are visiting again in April and have booked him again...you should definately check hi out

Typically, they go to a couple spots that have little or no other people in the area, but some storms caused murky waters in those areas so we to unfortunately go where the other excursions go so it was a little crowded but still not too bad. I would say 90% of the time, Calabaza goes where there aren't any others.

• 2 months later...

We've done Silvermoon three times. First 2 times were fantastic- food great etc. The last one was kind of meh....so we have booked with Calabaza for our next cruise.

Hate to put another option out there, but we had the most amazing time on the Elegance Catamaran. Sarah does an amazing job with everything. When we were on her the last time, our Captain was not happy with all the people in the one area, so he took us to another spot. The crew is amazing. One of the crew members dove down into a sunken ship and took pictures, then emailed them to all of the passengers that wanted them. The food was amazing and the drinks plentiful. If you have not checked them out, I suggest it.

• 2 months later...

Having done both tours, I can say you will have an amazing time on either one. I never felt crowded on either. I was with Silvermoon first, and then the 2nd time I tried to book they were sold out and recommended Calabaza to me. I was appreciative to them for the recommendation. However, I have booked Silvermoon time and time again. Similar experiences, but there is just something that keeps me coming back to Silvermoon.

We decided to stick with Calabaza. The reviews are excellent, and there are several cruisers on our roll call who've experienced both, and are saying that we really cannot go wrong with either choice. Rather than canceling one, to re-book the other, we're sticking with Calabaza. It feel like a tomato/tomahto type of thing at this point. They both sound great!