Funchal (Madeira) gardens

Am I right that there are two different botanical gardens on Monte? the Monte Palace Tropical Gardens (private, 10 euros) and the Madeira Botanical Gardens (public and free?). Which is the best one, and what is the best way to get there independently? (We're there March 29 on the Oosterdam).

The Botanical Gardens can be accessed by simply taking the cable car up to the top. From the station it is an easy walk to the gardens. The Cable Car ride is part of the fun and the views are spectacular (try to get a spot facing downhill). We have not been to the other gardens. The Botanical Gardens were interesting, but not spectacular in the early spring. Might be better in the late spring or summer.

Hank

This is a copy of a reply I put in the thread about Madeira on your own as I hadn't spotted this one :-

We walked to the Cable Car and took it upto the top (Monte) , then had tea/coffee/cakes in the tea house attached to the Quinta do Monte hotel - the hotel is beautiful and worth a look on its own. Then we visited the Tropical Gardens (more or less in front of the hotel) which are magnificent and include waterfalls, tiling, tropical trees and plants of all descriptions, lakes, bridges etc etc. Well worth a visit. Next to the gardens is the Church - Igreha da Nossa Senhora do Monte and this is also well worth a visit- the views are magnificent. If time allows you may be able to visit the Botantical Gardens which are further up again but I would imagine that after this, time may be getting short.

Regarding returning to town, you can either return on the cable car or take the toboggan, but as been already said, the toboggans only take you part of the way so we always opt for the cable car as we buy a return ticket. It's a marvellous day trip and much cheaper than paying the excursion prices wanted by the ship. If you get off the ship pretty sharpish, you will also have a lot more time to explore the gardens etc.

Hope this helps but be aware if there is low cloud this will impede views from the top! - sometimes happens.

Previous post is accurate. The only thing I'd like to add is that if arriving to Monte by bus free municipal garden will be right there (across from the church), Turning right and walking to cable car gardens (free) belonging to the hotel will be next, then Monte Palace and their own gardens (10€). Then cable car terminal from where botanical gardens (not free) can be reached. Downhill walk from botanical gardens to Funchal seafront is may be 20 min or more (or bus). Also botanical gardens can be reached from downtown Funchal by bus (30 or 31 I don't remember for sure)

Also there are two more municipal parks: first one street north of the waterfront promenade Ave Do Mar, the other one - west towards hotel zone. Here is a complete list http://www.madeira-live.com/en/gardens.html

Edited by hkto