Norwegian Vs Royal Caribbean For Carribean Cruise

I'm wanting to book at cruise this week for a cruise to the Eastern Caribbean for the month of Oct, except for the first week due to my wedding.

I was leaning towards Royal Caribbean because the ships look really cool. I'm a tech guy, so I like some of the things that they had to offer.

However, about thinking about it, I can't let a particular aspect of a ship drive my decision especially since my fiancee just wants to sit and enjoy the sun and drinks (for the most part)

Is it true Norwegian offers included specialty drink and dining packages? I would hate to go on a cruise and be worried what I can and can't have (I know there will be some aspect of that regardless)

Maybe I'm looking for what like an all inclsuive resort offers. Pay, show up, and not really worry about running about additional costs when it comes to dining and drinks.

I also heard Norwegian's food is much better.

Thanks,

Brian

The big difference will be between specific ships you are comparing, moreso than between NCL and Royal Caribbean. Both have older smaller ships with very few features, and new mega ships that offer lots of activities. NCL is currently offering "free" drink and specialty dining packages. You will pay 18% gratuity on the retail value of the packages, so you'll need to do the math to determine if you will use them enough for them to be a good deal for you. For us the dining was worth it, but gratuity on the drink package was more than we will likely spend on drinks.

If you go in excited and determined to have a great time, you will have a fabulous vacation on either one :)

I'm wanting to book at cruise this week for a cruise to the Eastern Caribbean for the month of Oct, except for the first week due to my wedding.

I was leaning towards Royal Caribbean because the ships look really cool. I'm a tech guy, so I like some of the things that they had to offer.

However, about thinking about it, I can't let a particular aspect of a ship drive my decision especially since my fiancee just wants to sit and enjoy the sun and drinks (for the most part)

Is it true Norwegian offers included specialty drink and dining packages? I would hate to go on a cruise and be worried what I can and can't have (I know there will be some aspect of that regardless)

Maybe I'm looking for what like an all inclsuive resort offers. Pay, show up, and not really worry about running about additional costs when it comes to dining and drinks.

I also heard Norwegian's food is much better.

Thanks,

Brian

I would suggest that you search the ships doing that itinerary during that time and find out what each cruise line is charging. RCI does sell a beverage package and you should be able to compare $ to $ what each would cost (remembering that when you book the beverage package with NCL that you are still charged an 18% gratuity/service charge on what the package would have cost you had you bought it). I have read that the food is similar in quality on each line with RCCL being a little bit ahead, but that depends on personal taste and which ship you are on.

Okay, so I'm looking at Norwegian's Escape vs RCL Oasis Of The Seas.

Does anyone know the retail price of Norwegian's Escape's drink package? Can I find this info online without booking?

Thanks

Brian

You can do a faux booking on the site and click through until you have a total (RCCL allows you to do the same thing I believe), that way you are seeing the total fare. I believe NCL just raised the retail cost of the package to $79 per person per day so the gratuities would be around $199 for two for a 7 day cruise (you can search for this on the NCL site).

Edited by sparks1093

Hey there,

Just this week, we compared RC to NCL for an Alaska cruise. Free drinks/dining on NCL was going to cost us a service fee of $400 for 2 people. We don't drink alcohol so I would have opted not to use the free perks.

The thing i like about NCL is the spa access package. Last time we went, it was $99/ea for the week. Great therapy pool, incredible heated chairs, quiet and luxurious place to lounge.

We've had great experiences on both cruise lines. It really does come down to how you want to spend your time.

Enjoy your trip.