Question about Gem front facing suite/balcony

MrMike45

Am debating of upgrading to a front facing penthouse suite on 9th floor. Never had a front facing room, and obviously one of the bigger reasons for upgrading would be the huge balcony.

I've read that you really can't use a front facing balcony while at sea. There are even warning signs posted to not open the door. We're on a 10 day with 6 sea days. If we can't use the balcony for 60% of the cruise, can't lay out there and enjoy the weather, doesn't sound like the upgrade would be a wise idea.

Anyone stay in a room like this (9502 or 9002) with some insight?

You can definitely use the balcony while at sea depending on the weather of course. The sign is a bit misleading as it says to keep the door locked while at sea. What that means is to lock it in place while either open or closed so that it doesn't bang around. There is a metal latch that locks it in place when it is opened.

The front balcony can be windy, but I loved it! The cool breeze and warm sun were perfect most days and the days that were cool, I bundled up in a bathrobe and enjoyed the fresh air!

I happen to love the constant breeze, but that may just be me! Enjoy!

You can absolutely use the front balcony while at sea. The forward facing penthouses on the Jewel class ships are some of our favorite cabins: huge balconies, great views; out on that balcony you almost feel as if you're on your own private yacht!

As mentioned above, the sign on the large metal door is misleading. But you will want to close that door at night, because the inner door does not provide an airtight seal, and you'll hear wind whistling around it if you don't close the outer door. Beware that the outer door is quite heavy and if it gets caught in the wind it can slam hard. If you're not comfortable dealing with it yourself, call your cabin steward.

The other issue at night is that the crew in the bridge above can have their night vision spoiled if you leave the windows and doors open with the lights on in the cabin, so they ask you not to do that. But it's easy enough to switch off the lights nearest the door before going in or out.

Finally, as to the balcony being windy: that's true if you stand at the rail. But the moment you sit down on one of the lounge chairs, you're out of the wind due to the metal sides of the balcony all around you.

Am debating of upgrading to a front facing penthouse suite on 9th floor. Never had a front facing room, and obviously one of the bigger reasons for upgrading would be the huge balcony.

I've read that you really can't use a front facing balcony while at sea. There are even warning signs posted to not open the door. We're on a 10 day with 6 sea days. If we can't use the balcony for 60% of the cruise, can't lay out there and enjoy the weather, doesn't sound like the upgrade would be a wise idea.

Anyone stay in a room like this (9502 or 9002) with some insight?

Edited by VideoTech

Not using your forward balconies at sea is a myth. My favorite suites at sea are the ones you are looking at. You mention gem so you are out of NYC...so people might be writing about it being too cold. After the first day, the weather indeed gets warmer!

coka

Edited by coka