Cooking Demonstrations: Info Please

Nessi

PER RCL WEBSITE: "Cooking Demonstrations

Watch seasoned chefs turn fresh ingredients into delectable appetizers, main dishes and desserts, as you get tips that will take your culinary pursuits to the next level.

Cooking demonstrations vary by itinerary.

Price: Not included in cost of cruise"[/color]

What are the cooking demonstrations like? Can you see the chef and his/her work/steps well? Is it worth the cost? If so, what do these demonstrations typically cost? My husband and I love to cook, so this sounds right up our alley. But I crave more info about this.

This is our first RCL cruise, and we will be sailing in Alaska. Thanks for any info or experiences you can share!

Edited by Nessi
Improving post before sending

We have just got back from Explorer and went to 2 cooking classes. I would highly recommend. The cost was $20 each and there were Indian and Italian classes. Classes were in the Restaurant and the Chef cooks at a table in front of you. You then have a tour of the Galley which is interesting and we saw the Bakery in action. Classes include a 3 course themed lunch which was great. We received recipe sheets for the Indian class. This is a fun activity on sea days!

Check your compass each day as well...we were on Jewel to Alaska last year & they had at least 2 cooking demo's in the Centrum on our sailing that were Free to attend...one they made crab cakes & I think some kind of shrimp dish...the other the pastry chef, the cruise director & a volunteer from the audience made a black forest cake...both demo's were fun to watch...and the audience got to sample the finished product at the end...

... the other the pastry chef, the cruise director & a volunteer from the audience made a black forest cake...both demo's were fun to watch...and the audience got to sample the finished product at the end...

On a cruise two years ago, we had the captain turn up as a surprise guest with the cruise director and a proper chef to make the black forest cake.

The chef made it properly, and the other two turned it into a comedy show (e.g. the chef said pour a drop of Kirsch into it, and the captain poured the bottle, etc) It was very funny, and was one of the highlights of the cruise.

In fairness, they all stayed for pictures and the chef gave advice etc for a good period of time after the end of the demo.