Embarkation at Southampton

Grendelsmother

Compared to many who write here, we are relatively inexperienced cruisers; we love Cunard but have only done fly cruises so the process of embarking in Southampton is a mystery. How does the system work ? When will we receive our suggested arrival time ? Can our driver drop us close to the entrance ? We'll be QG. Thank you in advance for attending to what will be for many, a relatively trivial matter !

Compared to many who write here' date=' we are relatively inexperienced cruisers; we love Cunard but have only done fly cruises so the process of embarking in Southampton is a mystery. How does the system work ? When will we receive our suggested arrival time ? Can our driver drop us close to the entrance ? We'll be QG. Thank you in advance for attending to what will be for many, a relatively trivial matter ![/quote']

Hi

As you are in QG, your embarkation time will be 12:00 midday.

People start turning up about 11:45 am. Most probable you will be in Ocean Terminal, where you first drop off your bags with the porters at the car/taxi drop off. Then you go up the escalator to the first desk where they will ask you if you are dining Britannia.

Tell them it's QG and you will be given a health form to fill out and be directed to a pen with all the other QG pax. There's also one for PG. The rest are given cards with coloured alphabetical letters. (Diamond first).

Just before midday you will be called forward for the photo and CC check in.

After that, it's just a matter of getting through security and you're on!

A silly female staff member was walking up and down last year telling pax to ensure they had no alcohol, which is rubbish. I pointed out that we always bring 6 bottles of the Widow on board. She told me it would be confiscated. It wasn't.

Enjoy your trip!

Stewart

From our boarding experience in Southampton, Stewart has given an excellent summary. I would like to add one more thing.

Passengers who are in the Grills and passengers who have priority boarding status are boarded first… There aren't that many Grills passengers, overall, on the ship, but sometimes there are a number with loyalty status (platinum or diamond), so it is possible there could be a queue, depending on the make-up of passengers.

In 2014 when we arrived about noon, I believe the time we spent queueing was 15 or 20 minutes.

If you have any difficulties standing, of course, you can ask for a wheelchair.

Have a wonderful first crossing!

Thank you Stewart and "Jimmy" for such prompt, detailed and very helpful replies. From reading the boards, it's very clear there's such a wealth of experience out there so I hoped someone would be able to demystify the S'hampton process - and indeed you have. We can anticipate our trip with something else crossed off the "Things to worry about" list. We're very grateful for your help.

We did the QG boarding process in January in Southampton. Your boarding time will be 12:30. Assuming you use a taxi or stay at one of the hotels pre-cruise, they will take you to the appropriate terminal. In our case, they stopped enroute to take our luggage to the luggage barn. We then drove around the corner to the terminal with our hand luggage. We put our wine in the checked bags. It wasn't a problem.

You breeze right through the doors, they look at your ticket and send you to the appropriate line. There was zero wait. You go to the desk and they check you in, you set up your credit card account, take your picture and you get your ID card. You go through the metal detector and they scan your hand baggage. Then you start up the gangway. It took no more than 15 minutes.

Once on board, you can go to your stateroom to drop off the hand luggage. If you need to use the elevator, go to one of the stairwells that isn't next to the entry. Most of the ship will be conducting open house. We went up to the dining room and had lunch. This is your opportunity to determine if your table is acceptable. During the first lunch, we were seated adjacent to the serving station. It was very noisy. After lunch we nicely and discretely asked to be moved. They accommodated us without any fuss.

We received most of our luggage very quickly. Evidently the tag fell off of one bags and it took most of the afternoon to arrive. We were casting off the lines before they found the bag and delivered it. But, they did find it. We didn't have to send for the Calvary to rescue it.

During the afternoon, your butler will introduce himself or herself and their assistant. They will request that you fill out the preferences card. They will deliver your preferences it that afternoon. You can also tell them whether you want canapés, or nuts and crisps or even caviar. I asked my butler to surprise me with a caviar service some evening. He did. Such a nice guy.

The whole experience is very civilized and couldn't be easier. Don't stress.

Edited by orvil