Viking Europe

Cruiser John

Have just returned from a Danube cruise on this ship. This was our fifth river cruise so I have a basis for comparison. The ship and service staff were satisfactory and the itinery interesting. The food however, was very disapointing. Breakfast was the only meal with marginally acceptable food.Lunch and dinner were uniformally unacceptable. This is the first cruise ever that produced a weight loss for me. A rather strange diet. In addition, little evening entertainment was provided. Although this was my first, and last, Viking cruise it was interesting to hear comments from many passengers who had cruised with Viking in the recent past. Their comments echoed my report. It seems that this company has taken a new tack with respect to food and entertainment. Too bad!! Any other recent Viking experiences?

Have just returned from a Danube cruise on this ship. This was our fifth river cruise so I have a basis for comparison. The ship and service staff were satisfactory and the itinery interesting. The food however, was very disapointing. Breakfast was the only meal with marginally acceptable food.Lunch and dinner were uniformally unacceptable. This is the first cruise ever that produced a weight loss for me. A rather strange diet. In addition, little evening entertainment was provided. Although this was my first, and last, Viking cruise it was interesting to hear comments from many passengers who had cruised with Viking in the recent past. Their comments echoed my report. It seems that this company has taken a new tack with respect to food and entertainment. Too bad!! Any other recent Viking experiences?

We have only done large cruise ships but are thinking about a European river cruise. I realize you were not happy with the food but I do have a food question. I heard that breakfasts and lunches are usually buffets and the dinner menu only has one entree. In other words, one has no choice and if it is something they don't like or don't eat, what other options, if any, are there. I'm not expecting 5 entrees and 4 always available items but having no choice would stop my thinking about this?

Frank-in-CA

Most if not all of the food was frozen, thawed and prepared on board. I realize the constraints of small ship-board galleys, but we felt the preparations were very bland with uninteresting or poor tasting sauces. I believe that the menus and recipes to be followed come from their head offices in Switzerland. If true, they desperately need help from an accomplished consulting chef.

The lunch was a salad bar followed by a 3 course sit-down lunch. Always 2 or 3 choices. If you are used to ocean cruising, you will be familiar with the problem "which of these wonderful sounding menu items shall I choose?". Please believe me, you won't have this problem on the Europe. I have had 2 cruises in 2002 on Deilman river boats and enjoyed both. Cruiser John

• 1 month later...
This makes little sense to me, as the boats dock near city centers and it shouldn't be difficult to take on provisions while the passengers are out sightseeing.

Even the large cruise lines have all of their main entrees frozen. They buy in large quantities to get good values. It might not be as practical as it sounds to buy fresh at each port. Nor is it practical to have a first class chef for only 180 people or so. It's back to the old, you get what you pay for and one has to pay more for better food.

Frank

• 4 weeks later...

Archived