Koningsdam: A Licensed Barber Aboard

rkacruiser

Wow, you struck a nerve with that comment, my blood pressure just spiked when I read your comment.. next time you go to your stylist DON'T make that statement, you might not like the outcome after your service.

Each state is different and regulates their license process. Just because I hold a license in my state does not allow me to practice in another state. You must apply and be accepted, sometimes taking their state boards.

There are hours to be met, barber school requires more hours than cosmetologists. A curriculum is followed, it involves many facets. Just because you can style hair does not give you a pass...

In some cases you can apprentice with a licensed individual. It is not a free pass, you still must present yourself and be tested. In my case testing was a two day affair.

Your license must be posted in your work area, state regulators make cold calls on salons to make sure the salon and staff are meeting requirements. You can be fined in some cases.

I'm SURE the staff on the ships are licensed from the country they took their boards, next time you visit the salon have a chat with them. I think you will be impressed with the level of schooling and what it takes to get where they are today.

Think it's easy, just look it up and see what is involved..

I apologize if you were offended.

Actually I am friends with the gal who sometimes does my hair and I quoted her oft repeated comment about being a hairdresser. She likes to say you either have an aptitude for styling hair or you don't. (I don't have it).

My state requires 1200 hours to sit for the licensing exam, non barber.

Of course, there are exceptions, but usually in the US, barbers are generally male and salons have women hair dressers. People can choose to be whatever they want but there is a bias associated with it, imo. All my guy friends go to the barber shop for hair cuts, edge ups a shave or whatever. Salons generally do not provide this kind or service and attention to a man's detailed service. Nor have I seen women getting a hair cut at a barber shop, but I'm sure it happens. That being said, a barber on the ship would be nice for a haircut. I have got one in port before and it was fine.