Can you get upgraded to a non-balcony cabin?

JeannetteC

I booked a specific BD cabin on the Coral Princess (no guaranty) but I said that I'd take an upgrade. I just noticed that there is an upgraded AF cabin that is a mini-suite with an ocean view -- no balcony! All of the other upgrades have balconies. I paid more because I definitely want a balcony. If I'm upgraded, would they give me the AF cabin?

You always have the option of turning down an upgrade, or requesting no upgrades at all. I would expect that you would be upgraded (if it happens) to one that is higher-priced than what you've already booked. If the AF is cheaper, it's probably not a concern.

Just completed:
Caribbean Princess Apr 3/04
Golden Princess Apr 10/04
Coming up:
Tahitian Princess Oct 14/04
Caribbean Princess redux 6/25/05

If you booked a specific cabin, then normally you will be contacted IF an upgrade occurs. I don't think I would worry about getting one of those non-balcony cabins, the chances are very slim. Just remember, you can always turn down that upgrade if it becomes necessary.

Tahitian Princess 10/14/04
RCI-Legend of the Seas 3/27/05 Panama Canal.
One Phantom Booking still open with Princess.

Not ENTIRELY Correct:
Once Princess has moved you, they have also moved someone else into your original cabin - no choice. You can always complain and they may look for another cabin in your Original category. There is a very slim chance that you would get the AF, however, because there are so few of these odd cabins. They are very large (because of the lack of balcony) and usually are specifically requested by families with small children who are afraid the kids will topple off the balconies. It is very hard to jump off a balcony; however, you know how babies and dogs can get into almost any situation that is not imaginable. Stay eligible for the upgrade is just mho. You May be pleasantly surprised.

A Smile is just a little curve that sets a lot of things Straight.
Fair Winds and Following Seas!

Could you mark your reservation "No upgrades except to a balcony cabin"?

Gloria

Grand Princess, Eastern, April 2001
Grand Princess, Western,April 2002
Regal to Hawaii, April 5-20, 2004

Worrying about an upgrade...

Ok.. say no upgrade as has been said.

Put in perspective that the upgrade fairy becomes more myth than reality as every month passes.

Don't hold open for a vista suite if you are afraid of one of the cabins in between.

If your sailing is heavily booked, you won't be moving anyway, where is it going and when? If it is Alaska in August, you are lucky to have a booking, I wouldn't bet on moving an inch.

One open Princess booking
[B]<FONT color=red>Alaska</FONT>[/B]
Diamond Princess 05/04 ~~ Mercury 06/02
Rhapsody o.t. Seas 05/98 ~~ Legend o.t. Seas 09/95
[B]<FONT color=red>Mexican Riviera</FONT>[/B]
Diamond Princess 11/04 ~~ Diamond Princess 04/04
Sea Princess 01/02 ~~ Vision o.t. Seas 04/02[B]<FONT color=red>
West Coast-Baja Mexico</FONT>[/B]
Ecstacy 09/01
[B]<FONT color=red>Eastern Carribean</FONT>[/B]
Century 12/97
[B]<FONT color=red>Western Carribean</FONT>[/B]
Century 9/96

Dear Gloria,
Tell the Princess res agent, or your T.A., to mark on the first page of the booking (under "Remarks") that statement that you do not want an AF. The Cruise Finalizer will most likely see this if it is on the first page but not necessarily will she see it if it is buried on the History page. Go for it.

A Smile is just a little curve that sets a lot of things Straight.
Fair Winds and Following Seas!

Definitely have your TA mark your file that you will take an upgrade if it has a balcony, or no AF category, but other upgrades are okay. Princess and/or your TA doesn't necessarily notify you of an upgrade. We were upgraded from a BE to a BB category and WE NOTIFIED OUR TA! They had no idea! We saw it in the cruise personalizer. We're happy with what we have now, so we asked for no more upgrades. So far, so good!

LeeLee

Carnival Fantasy
9/6/01 RCI Sovereign of the Seas
8/1/04 Sapphire Princess Honeymoon!
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;8;1;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]

Archived