Toulon Afternoon - HAL docks in Toulon or La Seyne?

SLOTheta

Hello,

I read the threads on Toulon, thank you (although search on my iPhone isn't so helpful and repeats the same threads)!

I'm still searching for ideas for an afternoon walk in Toulon. It's our first stop and we don't want to overdo it. We are not planning to go to the naval museum, but we will check out the street market.

We plan on having brunch on the ship and leisurely making our way off around 11ish. We would like to be out for 3-4hrs. Any suggestions for a restaurant or bar with a nice view to grab wine? Anything interesting to walk to or see?

Does anyone know if Holland America docks in Toulon or in La Seyne-sur-Mer, on the other side of the bay?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The ships dock at La Seyne. Eurodam may offer a shuttle but we are going to take the 10 min walk to the #8M water bus over to Toulon, approx. 1.5 euros pp each way.

There is a Naval Museum.

The 25th April stop we have designated a take it easy day on our 19 night cruise. Planning to just go into town find a nice resto near the water and have some moules-frites with a local beverage.

Was just on Toulons port web site. Showed a holland America ship in port. Link to their calander showed our oct. 30 Oosterdam docked in Toulon! Not across the harbor at seyne-sur mer.

Apparently, they opened a new cruise terminal 2016 to accomadate larger ships. Not sure if it can handle the really big ones lol.

Hello,

I'm still searching for ideas for an afternoon walk in Toulon. It's our first stop and we don't want to overdo it. We are not planning to go to the naval museum, but we will check out the street market.

Street markets close by 12.30 (some start packing up before that) so you would need to go straight there if not leaving the ship until 11 a.m. http://toulontourisme.com/en/things-to-do/toulon-urban-side/markets-toulon/

Have your wine in one of the back street bars - plenty in the streets around the top of the market - rather than on the seafront where prices are two to three times dearer; we paid 2.50 euro for a glass of decent Rose in a backstreet bar but 6 euro a glass for a far inferior wine on the waterfront.

Edited by campolady

Was just on Toulons port web site. Showed a holland America ship in port. Link to their calander showed our oct. 30 Oosterdam docked in Toulon! Not across the harbor at seyne-sur mer.

Apparently, they opened a new cruise terminal 2016 to accomadate larger ships. Not sure if it can handle the really big ones lol.

Double checked on the Toulon port site and Eurodam on 25 April is at La Seyne even though the port schedule for cruises shows only the Eurodam in town. Later in the year it does dock at Toulon instead. Ditto for Oosterdam in Sept 2016 it docks at La Seyne.

http://www.portdetoulon.com/index.php/en/site_ports/contenu/informations/cruises/calendrier_previsionnel_escales_croisieres_a_toulon_la_seyne_2016

Street markets close by 12.30 (some start packing up before that) so you would need to go straight there if not leaving the ship until 11 a.m. http://toulontourisme.com/en/things-to-do/toulon-urban-side/markets-toulon/

Have your wine in one of the back street bars - plenty in the streets around the top of the market - rather than on the seafront where prices are two to three times dearer; we paid 2.50 euro for a glass of decent Rose in a backstreet bar but 6 euro a glass for a far inferior wine on the waterfront.

Thank you!!!! I love the idea of 2.50 Rose in the summer!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app