Port times Romantic Mediterranean

mrsaquashark

We did the Romantic Mediterranean this past January. You'll be going the same week as us. I didn't keep notes about specific times so I'm just going by memory here. Barcelona we left at sunset and it was spectacular. Toulon, Monte Carlo and Ajaccio we left also around sunset but Florence and Rome were much later as it takes so long to get to those cities. Those nights we were back on the ship around 8 pm-ish. As to arriving, the ship was always in port early, maybe 6-8 am-ish. Sorry I can't be more helpful to you than that but if there's anything else you want to know, please ask and I'll answer. That's the trouble with included shore excursions--it's all been taken care of for you so you don't need to plan for the minutae of arranging exact times for someone to come get you at port every time!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Could you tell us more about your trip or share a link to your review of it. It seems we are taking the same cruise around the same time of year and wanted to know about crowds and excursions. thanks

Could you tell us more about your trip or share a link to your review of it. It seems we are taking the same cruise around the same time of year and wanted to know about crowds and excursions. thanks

To whom are you addressing your question, please.

Peregrina,

Thanks for the tip! The port times look great.

Deirdre,

Thank you so much for your repsonse, your reviews on Azamara helped us decide to take a trip on Journey last summer and it was a wonderful experience, so when we saw you here on the Viking board, we felt pretty good about the idea of giving them a shot!

Thanks for the kind words! We're back in the Mediterranean actually, though on Jewel of the Seas this time around. When we get back home and I have my regular computer, I can flesh out our experience on Viking Star a little more easily.

Quick notes though--we liked it very much and anyone who enjoys Azamara will surely feel comfortable and welcomed on Viking. The crew is both charming and hardworking. Shore excursions--like other lines we've cruised with--went from the sublime to the ridiculous. Sublime goes to the English expat who showed us around Corsica in the morning and ridiculous to the lady whose afternoon tour of Monte Carlo moved so slowly I thought I'd do a face plant right on the sidewalk. Food of course is subjective but we were pleased with it. And the service. Cabin? Comfortable with a top rating for the bathrooms. More notes after our cruise but I hope this can hold you over for a bit!

One last thing. You may be wondering what we didn't like and that was the rough Seas. A predictable hazard if you cruise in January I guess. There were three very uncomfortable rocky nights I'd have gladly done without.

I'm jumping on this thread. We are also considering booking the Jan. 8, 2017. On the sea. However, my experience today with the booking customer service rep. Has me ready to back off. We are new to Viking not sure if the rude pushy attitude is standard with this line.

I know this will vary but how did you feel about the temps? After touring all day, were you "frozen"? Was it too cold to sit on the balcony at night? I am looking for any thoughts and advice for cruising in the winter season.

Thanks all!

I'm jumping on this thread. We are also considering booking the Jan. 8, 2017. On the sea. However, my experience today with the booking customer service rep. Has me ready to back off. We are new to Viking not sure if the rude pushy attitude is standard with this line.

I know this will vary but how did you feel about the temps? After touring all day, were you "frozen"? Was it too cold to sit on the balcony at night? I am looking for any thoughts and advice for cruising in the winter season.

Thanks all!

Dear Travelfor4,

Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to respond to your comments.

We regret to learn of your disappointment and are interested in discussing the details of your concerns further. Should you wish to do the same, please contact us directly at TellUs@vikingcruises.com.

We look forward to hearing from you!

Kind regards,

Viking Cruises