Advice for Large Groups?

We're sailing on NOS in December and are a group of 14. Among others, this includes two children under five, an 85 year old who is in a wheelchair/walker, four 19/20 year olds, and a 30 year old who is slightly developmentally disabled. None of us have cruised on RCCI, and some of our group has never cruised before at all.

I'm looking for any advice anyone has regarding the boarding process. We're thinking that the couple of us who are familiar with the process should break everyone else into two groups and try to shepherd them through. Although we typically try to show up early to board, we're thinking that it might be smarter to go a little later (1pm? 2pm?) when the lines have relaxed a little.

Also, our experience on other cruiselines has been that there is a separate, expedited line for those in wheelchairs--can we expect something similar on RCCI?

Oh, and to complicate this further, while we have 7 cabins booked, the cabin accounts(wrong name probably) will be under just four credit cards--if that makes sense. Is the credit card business all taken care of online before we get there? In other words, will we need to have the person and their credit card with each cabin check in?

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

When you fill out the set sail pass on all your guests you will also fill out the credit card info so that will all be taken care of. You take your set sail pass with you for check-in and your check-in process is very quick. You can access the set sail pass on RCCL web site.

Happy Sailing.

Vanessa

I'd go with the idea of showing up later in the day. I rarely board a ship before 2pm and I usually just walk right on. You're more likely to be able to find a supervisor who can assist you in all checking in together -- the times I've sailed with comapnions in wheelchairs I just tell them we're altogether and want expedited check-in for the whole group so you don't get separated. It's never been a problem. But when the lines are long it could be. With everyone checking in together it will be no problem dealing with the credit card stuff.

Be sure that everyone has the cabin numbers of everyone else in the group before you board.

I'd assign one experienced cruiser to check everyone's dining confirmations and if there is a problem just send that one person to get it squared away. No point in everyone wandering around dealing with that. Same thing if there are any special occasions or needs that need to be confirmed.

Then have an assigned time and place for everyone to meet to confirm everything -- dining times, etc.

One other thing that might or might not apply to your situation: When I've cruised in a group with the very elderly we always made a set schedule for the younger cruisers. No arguments allowed. Tuesday from 9am to noon grandchild "A" is with Grandma. Grandma does not carry her own trays. Grandma does not hunt around for a chair. Grandma does not get up to go to a bar for a soda. Don't like it? Tough. But as long as there is a set schedule (Grandma doesn't have to know about this) everyone can plan their own time accordingly and they can see the responsibility is spread around.

Thank you all. This is EXACTLY the kind of information I need. Cruiseco: your "Grandma" tips are perfect. Hadn't thought of it, but it makes great sense.

Sounds like doing the setsail pass for everyone in advance is a must. I'll be sure to do it.

This board is the greatest. Thank you again so much.

Also when you go to disembark, everyone should meet in one area after breakfast. Ensure that Grandmother is on first elevator down to the deck you need to leave from and the health ones can head down the stairs. Meet again at the elevator then go as a group through the customs and baggage retrieval. I would pre-book Supershuttle if you are flying in for a group this large. Enjoy your cruise.

Archived