SUN Princess and slipping standards

greykangaroo

Dress standards were non existent and they were aghast to see shorts and thongs being worn into the formal dining room in the evening. They said all staff seemed powerless to speak to anyone about it but just looked and let them pass. :mad:

:eek:

Surely thongs mean something different 'down under' than here in the states...

As for the OP...I prefer to lend more credence towards 1st hand accounts and tend to take 'hearsay' with a grain of salt.

:eek:

Surely thongs mean something different 'down under' than here in the states...

The word "thongs" also now means flip flops in Canada. I am old enough to remember when the word "thongs" meant sandals....not dental floss underwear.:D

The word "thongs" also now means flip flops in Canada. I am old enough to remember when the word "thongs" meant sandals....not dental floss underwear.:D

I misspoke (misstyped):D The word "thongs:D" also now means UNDERWEAR in Canada. :o

OP=original poster

Thank you Shredie. I was thinking I was being confused with Po as in "Quoth the raven never more".

In Australia, these are thongs. They are worn with tee shirts and shorts.

Some it seems lately have been wearing them to dinner on cruise liners.

Thongs.jpg.2843e99b91ba7b11b139829099b29511.jpg

I have just picked up some friends from this ship in Fremantle at the end of the Asian 26 day voyage.

They stayed with us last night before we put them on the plane home to Adelaide today.

I would like to relate what they told us were the very good and very bad of their cruise.

Very good were the entertainment and the great movies on their cabin TV.

The food in all venues also was very good.

What wasn't good was the smoking which permeated much of the ship. They said that the main smoking area was right opposite the doors to Horizon Court restaurant and it rolled into the foyer area every time the door opened.

Dress standards were non existent and they were aghast to see shorts and thongs being worn into the formal dining room in the evening. They said all staff seemed powerless to speak to anyone about it but just looked and let them pass. :mad:

One point they made about the trip and outside the responsibility of Princess was that anyone who went to the expense of a balcony found it a complete waste of money as the humidity outside was so terrible that they couldn't open the doors.

On the way north they had to get a $44 on board visa for Bali and were aghast to find on the way back that they had to get another one for the second call at Bali as the visas were found to be only single entry.

$176 total for the two of them.

I hope that this post helps someone.

This is totally incorrect Horizon Court entrance is on deck lido 14,the smoking area is on deck Riviera 12,the oasis bar (aft) is a smoking area,and the promenade aft is smoking Starboard side.This applys to dawn,sea and sun as they have the same layouts.As for the balcony humidity,that is not Princess fault,thats why on Asian and sth pacific cruises we pick a mid-ship interior.Hope this clears some mis-conceptions up.P/S I sometimes giggle to myself that people wont run the gauntlet of a few smokers,but happily walk around hong kong or Bangkok,breathing in 1000 times the smoke and fumes in a 6 hr period.