Istanbul, Venice Aug 27 to Sept 10

GregRoyKelly

BTW, if you haven't already seen it, you may be interested in this morning's news update on port stops in Turkey from Cruise Critic: http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6769

-S.

Subject to change, but here's the Cunard info from that link:

Cunard Line: "In line with advice from the Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO), we currently have no plans to remove our calls to Istanbul, Turkey. We continue to monitor the situation very closely and as our passenger safety is paramount, if the situation deteriorates, we will reconsider these itineraries.”

Edited by Underwatr

Subject to change, but here's the Cunard info from that link:

Cunard Line: "In line with advice from the Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO), we currently have no plans to remove our calls to Istanbul, Turkey. We continue to monitor the situation very closely and as our passenger safety is paramount, if the situation deteriorates, we will reconsider these itineraries.”

Underwatr, thank you for that quote from the Cruise Critic report. So much easier than reading the whole article. And more often than not, facts are lacking in those reports due to the obvious prejudice in favor of cruise lines.

Nevertheless, caution is urged by various agencies, especially for those planning on overnights in Istanbul. Clearly an Istanbul port stop is a decision made by cruise lines and well informed passengers who are capable of making their own decision based on the best available information. Recommend research, caution urged. -S

We are on the 3 to 10 Sept part and have started a roll call. We did the leg you are doing last year and it was really nice having an overnight in Istanbul. Let's wait and see what happens with the port stops nearer the time, although I would not book any independent tours in Turkey until the situation is known.

Underwatr, thank you for that quote from the Cruise Critic report. So much easier than reading the whole article. And more often than not, facts are lacking in those reports due to the obvious prejudice in favor of cruise lines.

Nevertheless, caution is urged by various agencies, especially for those planning on overnights in Istanbul. Clearly an Istanbul port stop is a decision made by cruise lines and well informed passengers who are capable of making their own decision based on the best available information. Recommend research, caution urged. -S

I posted a question on Cunard's FB page on Saturday enquiring about their possible alternatives to Istanbul if they were to change ports for the summer. This is the reply they posted, I didn't really expect to get a definitive response although would have liked one....

"Please rest assured we are monitoring the situation in Turkey and are following the advice given by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office. The safety of our guests and crew is our top priority and as such we would never sail to places that we felt would pose a risk. In the event that we decide to change this port we will of course notify guests as soon as possible and provide an alternative option, if this becomes necessary.

Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any further queries.

Best wishes"

Edited by Tangoqueen

I posted a question on Cunard's FB page on Saturday enquiring about their possible alternatives to Istanbul if they were to change ports for the summer. This is the reply they posted, I didn't really expect to get a definitive response although would have liked one....

"Please rest assured we are monitoring the situation in Turkey and are following the advice given by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office. The safety of our guests and crew is our top priority and as such we would never sail to places that we felt would pose a risk. In the event that we decide to change this port we will of course notify guests as soon as possible and provide an alternative option, if this becomes necessary.

Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any further queries.

Best wishes"

Wow, that's quite a memorable response that you elicited from Cunard:

"...we would never sail to places that we felt would pose a risk..."

Really? Ok.

It's darned near impossible to sail and avoid risk. The trick is not to sail into danger if it can be avoided. - Just my opinion

Also got a chuckle from the invitation "to reach out if you have any further queries" Reach out? Queries? Interesting mix of California speak and pseudo Brit.:)

-S/

• 4 months later...

Hello GregRoyKelly,

My husband and I are also from Ontario and joining QV Aug 27 in Athens for 21 days. This is also our first time with Cunard and first cruise! Looking forward to connecting with fellow Ontarians!

Bill & Francine

Also got a chuckle from the invitation "to reach out if you have any further queries" Reach out? Queries? Interesting mix of California speak and pseudo Brit.:)

-S/

Quite, what is wrong with "Please contact us if we can help further" it is after all a long way to reach from where I live.