Only been on HAL

Suze10860

Here's an interesting situation. I think that a couple we are friends with is going to wait until the very last minute, and then book on our April 3 Breakaway cruise (at a really nice price.) They have only cruised once before, and not only was it on HAL, but they didn't pay for themselves! Her parents did. (Sweet, right?)

So I'm really hoping they come with us, but my only concern is what their expectations might be having only sailed once before on a line that is (I think) very different than NCL. They also sailed out of Florida, so the itinerary was definitely a little more exciting than the Breakaway out of NY itinerary. We don't really cruise so much for the ports. It's more about getting away and relaxing for us.

They are in their mid-40's and lots of fun. They like to stay active and I'm sure they'd want to take advantage of excursions at each port. (This is unlike my husband and I who enjoy nothing more than chilling on our balcony as often as possible.) I think our plan is more to be independent during the days, then get together to take advantage of our UBP's and have fun each night.

Anyone who has sailed both lines - thoughts on any information I might share with them so they're not caught too off guard by the differences, both good and bad?

Thanks!

Background- Platinum on NCL, 3 star with HAL. We'll be on the Nieuw Amsterdam in 10 days, we were on her last year about the same time. Most recently on the Escape in December and again in February.

BIG difference in the lines. HAL has a much older demographic. As a result, different entertainment options. You'll find string quartets, cooking demonstrations, traditional shows in the show rooms. Most all bars and all dining( except room service) close by 11:00 PM. No kids pools, no slides, rock walls, ropes courses,etc. It's a much more sedate environment. Very few children compared to NCL. Its a very relaxing experience. If you want to recharge, this is the line. The service is much better than NCL. While some disagree, I think the food is similar, each line has it's good and bad.

We were on the Breakaway in September. Even though NY school was back in, there were still 1200 kids on our cruise. NCL promo's 3rd and 4th in cabin free from time to time. April 3rd I'd expect kids.

There's lots of activity, both day and night on NCL. Outdoor parties in Spice, just about every night. and dancing in Bliss. There's more entertainment, from Headliners, to the Broadway shows. 24 hour O'sheehan's pub, for late night grub. NCL has a much, much more active vibe. But, it does feel more crowded than a HAL ship. That's partly due to it's size( pool deck is a little crazy on sea days). Partly due to more of the passengers being out and active day and night. It's not bad, just not particularly relaxing. You have to look for relaxation more on NCL. It hits you in the face on HAL. JMHO

I hope you all enjoy your cruise.

Background- Platinum on NCL, 3 star with HAL. We'll be on the Nieuw Amsterdam in 10 days, we were on her last year about the same time. Most recently on the Escape in December and again in February.

BIG difference in the lines. HAL has a much older demographic. As a result, different entertainment options. You'll find string quartets, cooking demonstrations, traditional shows in the show rooms. Most all bars and all dining( except room service) close by 11:00 PM. No kids pools, no slides, rock walls, ropes courses,etc. It's a much more sedate environment. Very few children compared to NCL. Its a very relaxing experience. If you want to recharge, this is the line. The service is much better than NCL. While some disagree, I think the food is similar, each line has it's good and bad.

We were on the Breakaway in September. Even though NY school was back in, there were still 1200 kids on our cruise. NCL promo's 3rd and 4th in cabin free from time to time. April 3rd I'd expect kids.

There's lots of activity, both day and night on NCL. Outdoor parties in Spice, just about every night. and dancing in Bliss. There's more entertainment, from Headliners, to the Broadway shows. 24 hour O'sheehan's pub, for late night grub. NCL has a much, much more active vibe. But, it does feel more crowded than a HAL ship. That's partly due to it's size( pool deck is a little crazy on sea days). Partly due to more of the passengers being out and active day and night. It's not bad, just not particularly relaxing. You have to look for relaxation more on NCL. It hits you in the face on HAL. JMHO

I hope you all enjoy your cruise.

Thanks you so much for that detailed response. Just the kind of info I'm looking for. And your description of relaxing on the Breakaway makes me realize that my large balcony (mini suite) will be perfect. Thanks again.

Glad to help. Just an FYI.. The regular balconies on the Breakaway and Getaway are really small. Smallest of any ship we've been on. It's hard even turn the chairs forward, or your legs will hit the balcony glass. They have them facing each other. Not sure what category your friends are booking. Just a heads up.

Glad to help. Just an FYI.. The regular balconies on the Breakaway and Getaway are really small. Smallest of any ship we've been on. It's hard even turn the chairs forward, or your legs will hit the balcony glass. They have them facing each other. Not sure what category your friends are booking. Just a heads up.

Thanks again, and for sure on those tiny balconies!! That's why we booked the mini with the large balcony. Money is definitely a bit of an issue for them, so that's why they're leaning towards a balcony guarantee. So inexpensive right now. While I'm sure they would like a bigger balcony (who wouldn't) they are definitely not lounge around type of people.