Luau

jegk1

We were so pleased with the luau at Coco Palms in Kauai which ceased to exist 14 years ago due to natural causes. Does anyone know of any other luau, on any island as we will be touring for 6 weeks on all of them, which offers the same beautiful natural setting adjacent to the water, with the canoes, fire dance, great foods, Hawaiian hula dancers etc.? I haven't been able to find one anywhere on any island.

Number one I guess with all those things mentioned would be the Polynesian Cultural Center on Oahu. That is more of an all day event beginning around noon and ending about 9 pm. They do offer a Luau in the evening with a traditional Luau menu and then a show featuring the dances of Polynesia follows.The Luau getting the most favorable comments on this board would be the Old Lahaina Luau on Maui, but they don't have canoes or a fire dance. Probably because this board deals more with cruising, Kauai and the Big Island luaus are rarely mentioned although now that the POA's overnight in Kauai, that may change.

The Old Lahaina Luau is often spoken of as being the best luau in the Islands but it's my understanding that the dancing is just from the Hawaiian Islands. (I could be wrong here because I've never attended this luau but I don't think there is any fire dancer.)

You might want to check out The Feast at Lele, also on Maui. They offer food and dancing from each of the Pacific Island groups. http://www.feastatlele.com

Thanks for your help. I did just read online that the Coco Palms is being rebuilt and do to open in 2008! The logoons on the property, enhanced with torches, were what created the lovely setting for their luau. Guess we may not do a luau this visit, as we basically were interested only in the atmosphere created in this type setting and seating outside in a protected area in the event of showers. The food appears to be quite universal throughout the islands. I enjoyed the fact that the entertainment was essentially Hawaiian based, rather than Polynesian because we have observed other dances and cultures while on other Pacific islands done in their native environments.

However, I wonder if the churches on the islands still sponser their luaus as fund raisers? This might be a nice exposure to a different type of situation. Does anyone know anything about these?

Back in August I was listening to one of the Internet radio stations from Hawaii and they mentioned a church in Haleiwa was doing a luau on the first Saturday in August. Don't really know how one gets advanced notice of them other than checking Hawaiian newspapers on line???? I think the station was The Breeze of Hawaii.

The Revealed books give high marks to the PCC Luau, but say it is not pure Hawaiian, rather more Polynesian. If I recall correctly, no alcohol is served there, if that matters to anyone. (Latter Day Saints facility)

For a purely Hawaiian luau, the revealed books give the highest marks to the Old Lahaina Luau. We have reservations for it and I will post a review.

We just returned from our 11 nite Hawaiian cruise on Serenade last week. We did go to the Old Lahaina Luau.

It was one of our favorite things we did in Hawaii. The grounds are just beautiful, tucked into the seaside, with awesome views of the sunset. You can watch them "unbury" the pig and there are some arts and crafts. The hospitality is superb.

The show itself is wonderful. They have many Hawaiian dances, telling stories from the history of the Hawaiian people. The music is live, not taped, and there is also a Master Chantor which makes it all sound so magical.

The food is OK. It is different than what most of us are used to. It is not bad, just different flavors. It would not keep me from going again.

They do have a website.

If you have any questions, I would be glad to answer them for you.

Mary

We just returned from our 11 nite Hawaiian cruise on Serenade last week. We did go to the Old Lahaina Luau.

It was one of our favorite things we did in Hawaii. The grounds are just beautiful, tucked into the seaside, with awesome views of the sunset. You can watch them "unbury" the pig and there are some arts and crafts. The hospitality is superb.

The show itself is wonderful. They have many Hawaiian dances, telling stories from the history of the Hawaiian people. The music is live, not taped, and there is also a Master Chantor which makes it all sound so magical.

The food is OK. It is different than what most of us are used to. It is not bad, just different flavors. It would not keep me from going again.

They do have a website.

If you have any questions, I would be glad to answer them for you.

Mary

How long did the Old Lahaina Luau last?

Archived