Iconcierge question

If I remember right, we connected with the app after check in while waiting to board. I was signed on before they called our group number to board. Once you are in their computer an within the ships wifi range, you are good to go. They use you room number that you enter in the app to bill you for the chat program. It was handy app. It does a lot of interesting things.

So - I downloaded the app for no charge? How do I get the $7.95 version so we may text one another onboard?

The app is going to look completely different once it connects to the ship's wifi. It will have loads of other features that don't appear now. One of those will be the messaging feature. When you click on that, you will be asked if you want to activate that feature. If so, the $7.95 will be added to your shipboard account. You really can't do anything with the app until it connects with the ship, but everyone should download it ahead of time.

We always connect and pay the $7.95 while checked in at the terminal, waiting to board. Messing around with it is a good way to kill time.

$7.95 per device but worth it especially if you want to connect with family and friends onboard. My friends and I had connecting cabins but we still used the texting feature a lot when we were out and about on the ship.

There is a link on this page to download a "how to ..." pdf

https://www.ncl.com/apps

it's a small price to pay to stay connected

THANK YOU!

Does the texting and calling others on the ship work with both iOS and Android? I have an iPhone and everyone else I am travelling with has Androids.

from GooglePlay App description: "*The Phone calling features are available on iPhone only. However, the Messenger feature is available on both iPhone and iPad."

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=digiMobile.MainMenu.NCL&feature=more_from_developer#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEwMiwiZGlnaU1vYmlsZS5NYWluTWVudS5OQ0wiXQ

ETA: Looks like that's just phone calling back home...not onboard

Edited by TenForward

from GooglePlay App description: "*The Phone calling features are available on iPhone only. However, the Messenger feature is available on both iPhone and iPad."

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=digiMobile.MainMenu.NCL&feature=more_from_developer#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEwMiwiZGlnaU1vYmlsZS5NYWluTWVudS5OQ0wiXQ

I saw that language too and it was made me think that I would not be able to text/call my android friends on the ship. If it is just that they cannot call home, they can borrow my phone if needed :)

I see that it says Phone Calling with Family and Friends Back Home (Nominal Per Minute Fee During Cruise) Anyone know what that 'nominal fee' is?

Edited by KarenMF

• 6 months later...

I know this is an older post but I'm hoping some are still monitoring it. I coordinate a group cruise and there are 60 of us (30 cabins) sailing on the Escape in February.

I plan to purchase the app for everyone in the group, but can't seem to find someone at NCL to address some questions. I'm hoping either someone from NCL will see this post and reach out me, or someone can answer the following:

1) Does the system accomodate group/broadcast messages - that would be excellent for letting eveyone in the group know about last minute changes to schedule and plans.

2) can I purchase it for everyone before the cruise or do I need to put $16 credit on everyone's account once on board so they can make the purchase?

3) are we assigned user names or does it work on stateroom number. if stateroom number, how are muilpe devices in a stateroom identified?

Any guideance would be great. This sounds like a great group tool but I can't seem to get any specific info.

Thanks

Bob

I know this is an older post but I'm hoping some are still monitoring it. I coordinate a group cruise and there are 60 of us (30 cabins) sailing on the Escape in February.

I plan to purchase the app for everyone in the group, but can't seem to find someone at NCL to address some questions. I'm hoping either someone from NCL will see this post and reach out me, or someone can answer the following:

1) Does the system accomodate group/broadcast messages - that would be excellent for letting eveyone in the group know about last minute changes to schedule and plans.

2) can I purchase it for everyone before the cruise or do I need to put $16 credit on everyone's account once on board so they can make the purchase?

3) are we assigned user names or does it work on stateroom number. if stateroom number, how are muilpe devices in a stateroom identified?

Any guideance would be great. This sounds like a great group tool but I can't seem to get any specific info.

Thanks

Bob

2. You cannot purchase before the cruise. The service has to be activated from the specific devices once they are connected to the ship's wifi. If the price is still $7.95 when you sail, I suppose you could add that to everyone's shipboard account at guest services.

3. There are no usernames. You device's ID or contact number is based on cabin number. For instance, when we stayed in 13870, the numbers for the 3 in our group were 1387001, 1387002, 1387003. The last 2 digits were assigned chronologically based on the order in which we activated our devices.

Sorry I can't answer anything about group messaging. I don't recall seeing anything like that, but I wasn't looking for it either. We've used iConcierge on 4 cruises now, and it's terrific.

Edited by LrgPizza

2. You cannot purchase before the cruise. The service has to be activated from the specific devices once they are connected to the ship's wifi. If the price is still $7.95 when you sail, I suppose you could add that to everyone's shipboard account at guest services.

3. There are no usernames. You device's ID or contact number is based on cabin number. For instance, when we stayed in 13870, the numbers for the 3 in our group were 1387001, 1387002, 1387003. The last 2 digits were assigned chronologically based on the order in which we activated our devices.

Sorry I can't answer anything about group messaging. I don't recall seeing anything like that, but I wasn't looking for it either. We've used iConcierge on 4 cruises now, and it's terrific.

Thank you! That's helpful!