singles cabins

dmen131

Does Princess ever offer singles specials? I have heard of other lines that do. I am asking because my parents, my husband and I are planning on going to Alaska late summer. However, my Aunt just lost her husband and we want to bring her with us. I was wondering if we would just have to pay 2 fares. The other option would be to put her in a mini-suite with one of the couples. Has anyone ever put 3 adults in one and would you recommend it? We had one on Grand Princess and I might be remembering it too fondly, but it seemed like it would work. But seeming like it would work and actually being comfortable for 2 women and a man is COMPLETELY different. Thank you.

Single speacials, not that I'm aware of (I'm a widow too).

Hopfully a Hawiian Cruise

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2006;12;5;11;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img] Until we sail away on the ocean blue

Navigator of the Seas Western Crib 08/03
Dawn Princess - Eastern Carb 01/03
Dawn Princess Panamal Canal 11/02

Sometimes Princess does have reduced supplements for singles in insides and oceanview cabins, but basically never in balconies and above. If you can get 150% for prime season in Alaska, however, this close in you're doing well. 125% is about as good as they ever get on Princess.

On the mini-suites, there is no visual privacy between the main bed and sofa bed, but good room for 3 adults.

<font face="Imprint MT Shadow" size="5" color="#FFCC00">[i]Amber[/i]</font>
<font size="4" face="Berlin Sans FB">Cruise Resource
BiddingFun and BiddingHELP</font>

Amber,

You bring up an interesting point. Travelocity runs these specials money back if you make final payment with a Mastercard and shipboard credit if booking occurs prior to a certain date.

Just a beef I have.

The restrictions make it so singles get zip from these offers. the Mastercard credit takes into effect only when singles pay 200% of brochure rate, and singles get zilcho for cabin credit because single bookings are excluded from the offer.

Now really...does Princess loose that much money because a cabin has only one person.. as to exclude them from special perks and offers?

Violet

Diamond Princess 11/27/04

I agree Violet, you are gettin a raw deal, bring a friend for free, I can lend you toni, i can't keep her growing cruise lust under control single handedly much longer.

[B] Life is at it's best when your address floats [/B]
[B]<FONT color=red>Alaska</FONT>[/B]
Diamond Princess 05/04 ~~ Mercury 06/02
Rhapsody o.t. Seas 05/98 ~~ Legend o.t. Seas 09/95
[B]<FONT color=red>Mexican Riviera</FONT>[/B]
Diamond Princess 12/04
Diamond Princess 11/04 ~~ Diamond Princess 04/04
Sea Princess 01/02 ~~ Vision o.t. Seas 04/02[B]<FONT color=red>
West Coast-Baja Mexico</FONT>[/B]
Ecstacy 09/01
[B]<FONT color=red>Eastern Carribean</FONT>[/B]
Century 12/97
[B]<FONT color=red>Western Carribean</FONT>[/B]
Century 9/96

There is a website called yourowncabin.com that specializes in finding sailings that will let singles cruise for little or no single supplement. I have not had experience with it but I have read about it. Check it out.

dmen131 - I think it would be beneficial to bring a friend (or a grandchild of teenage or older age) for your aunt to be with. We just traveled with my MIL who lost her husband last year (her first vacation w/o him) and it helped alot to have her rooming with my Step-daughter (age 16) - both got to enjoy the trip & MIL did not feel like a 5th wheel with the other "couples" since she had someone to travel with. Not knowing your Aunt, but thought you might want to consider this...

Have a great trip,
Doreen

igloo42

Thank you. I do believe you are correct igloo42--except my Aunt has no children. And I am an only child and don't have kids yet. The only person we could think of bringing would be a friend of hers, but they all have husbands. It is a tricky situation because if we talk to her too much about it and trying to find someone, I'm afraid she will feel like the 5th wheel. We'll have to put our thinking caps on. Also, she is not the kind of person that would feel comfortable staying with someone she doesn't know very, very well.

I find that things work out much better for everyone when situations, especially delicate ones, are addressed directly rather than assuming anything. (i.e. that she will feel like a 5th wheel if you talk too much about her traveling companion/cabinmate situation). While your aunt is in mourning, she has not lost all sensibilities and attempts to make things easier for her without consulting her on her wishes may in fact make her feel worse or offend her.

My suggestion: "Aunt ____, Mom, Dad, my husband and I are going on a cruise this summer to Alaska. If you feel up to it, we would love to take you along. We understand that it will be hard for you to travel without Uncle ____, and we want to make the trip as comfortable and enjoyable for you as possible. If you decide to go along, please let us know what traveling arrangements would be most comfortable for you: sharing a minisuite with Mom and Dad, having your own room or taking along one of your friends with which to share a room." Or something to that effect...

Please be prepared that she just may not feel up to traveling yet without her husband. You all may feel like it would be a great thing for her, but only she knows if it's something she feels she can handle yet. All of those "firsts" after someone dies are very difficult, and this may not be one she is ready to tackle.

soccermommie

Archived