Opinions on my possible cruse choices

hschlink

HOU to/from Port of Galveston takes a bit over an hour.

Just a small clarification for the OP, HOU is Houston Hobby, IAH is Houston Intercontinental. HOU is the closer airport (39 miles) but smaller with more limited service, while IAH is the bigger airport with much better flight and airline selection, but over an hour (71 miles) away.

Why limit yourself to only these two? :)

There are other ships as well as other cruise lines around the same dates with lower prices. As I understand from your first post, your main concerns are the dates and total costs.

Miami has the brand-new Carnival Vista for the same date and it is cheaper than the Splendor. It also has the Glory & MSC Divina for the same price as the Splendor.

Pt. Canaveral has the Carnival Magic, but it is a little bit more right now. It also has the Sunshine doing the Southern itinerary.

New Orleans has the Carnival Dream for a similar price.

You can calculate total costs including airfare, and price out the least expensive option.

For eg. Spirit Air flies non-stop from MSP to IAH for $107 RT/person; and this is a price for flights next week!

Frontier flies non-stop from MSP to Orlando for $170 RT.

Even with baggage fees, there could be substantial savings over paying for other airports.

Edited by hirent

Hi everyone,

I’ve been staring at these two cruises for the past month and I’m having a hard time deciding one which is the best. I’ll be cruising with my husband and 11 year old twins, flying from Minneapolis. These two cruises happen to work the best with their school schedule and they won’t break the bank. Because this will be the kids’ first cruise I’m really planning it for them. I’d like them to have plenty to do when at sea so I can relax as well. Thoughts?

Carnival Breeze out of Galveston TX (April 2017)

Montego Bay, Grand Cayman, Cozumel

Notes: I’ve heard that flying into Houston and getting to the port of Galveston can be a pain and expensive.

Carnival Splendor out of Miami FL (April 2017)

Amber Cove, St. Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk

Notes: I realize there isn’t a waterworks on this ship BUT it does go to one extra island so that’s one less day at sea.

Thanks!! :cool:

I like the BREEZE but...

With kids St. Thomas, San Juan, and Grand Turk have more family activities, IMHO. Have not been to Amber Cay.

A lot of folks do not like MoBay, especially with kids (I myself like it). Grand Cayman is very nice but the tenders? Urgggggh, especially getting back on.

If you do the Breeze, Look up Nachi Cocum.

St. Thomas has the aquarium next to Coki Beach. You could get a Cabana or go to Jack's Shack in Grand Turk. And walking San Juan is amazing.

The Breeze is my favorite ship in the fleet, however, in this situation I would choose the Splendor. The itinerary is better on the Splendor and the kids are going to be amazed on either ship as it is their first cruise. My son is 13 and a platinum cruiser and has loved every ship he's been on. His favorite port is Grand Turk. He loves the Flow Rider at Grand Turk and I love the beach and pool at Margaritaville. We went to Amber Cove in March and it was the kids favorite stop on the itinerary. They have a huge resort style pool, kids splash park, and waterslides that are free. They also have a zipline that goes over the pool for $6c/$12a unlimited day pass. San Juan would be my least favorite on that itinerary but there are the forts close by if that interests you. St. Thomas has a ton of beaches to choose from, magic ice museum, sky tram, snorkeling, aquarium....lots to choose from in St. Thomas. As far as the port goes...you can fly into Fort Lauderdale on Southwest and get a $12pp shuttle to the Port of Miami. That's very easy and what we do every time we sail out of Miami. Good luck choosing! I think your kids will have a great time on either ship!