Half-day in Southampton and the region

Hello everyone!

We will disembark from our upcoming cruise in Southampton. Our flight back to Germany is not leaving until 05:20 pm (17:20) from SOU, so we have plenty of time to fill. I think we should be at the airport around 04:00 pm.

My first choice is to stay longer on board of Harmony of the Seas. But probably this will be hard to achieve, because they usually don't offer a late check-out during the first few cruises of a new vessel.

Therefore the question is, what can we do in and/or around Southampton, knowing that we will have our luggage with us. (1 big suitecase & 2 little ones)

What are the must see things or must do activities?

I would be thankful for your advices!

Cheers from Germany

Hendrik

Unless cost is a big issue I would suggest you hire a private driver/guide who can take you in his/her car to tour Salisbury, Stonehenge and other nearby places, have a stop for lunch as well and get to SOU in time for your flight. Your luggage will go along with you in the trunk/boot of the car.

My guess is you will find many if you Google "private driver/guide Southampton."

Unless cost is a big issue I would suggest you hire a private driver/guide who can take you in his/her car to tour Salisbury, Stonehenge and other nearby places, have a stop for lunch as well and get to SOU in time for your flight. Your luggage will go along with you in the trunk/boot of the car.

My guess is you will find many if you Google "private driver/guide Southampton."

Oh yes, I completely forgot about Stonehenge! That is a great idea! Thank you very much!

It would also be possible to visit Avebury, a slightly less well known Neolithic site, but one that is far less crowded than Stonehenge, but to me a better place to visit.

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/avebury/lists/avebury-world-heritage-site

You are able to get close enough to touch the stones if you want to, unlike Stonehenge.

There's no reliable luggage storage in Southampton, but there is at Southampton airport.

To avoid the heavy expense of a car & driver for the day:

Head first to the airport by.............

- Taxi from the cruise terminal to the airport - the 20 minute trip will cost about £20 from the line of taxis, or less pre-booked eg http://www.westquaycars.com

- or a 15 min walk to Southampton central train station, trains to the airport (station is Southampton Parkway/Airport) every 15 minutes or thereabouts take about 10 mins & costs £3.70

(a taxi to Southampton central station costs about £6, then add the train fares means if you're going to jump in a taxi at the port you might as well take it all the way to the airport)

Stash your luggage (desk in terminal)

Go to the airport station - about 100 yards from the terminal - & take a train (every 20 mins or thereabouts) to Winchester. Day-return costs £5.40 & the journey takes only about 10 mins

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

Winchester is a historic city, with an impressive cathedral

JB :)

There's no reliable luggage storage in Southampton, but there is at Southampton airport.

To avoid the heavy expense of a car & driver for the day:

Head first to the airport by.............

- Taxi from the cruise terminal to the airport - the 20 minute trip will cost about £20 from the line of taxis, or less pre-booked eg http://www.westquaycars.com

- or a 15 min walk to Southampton central train station, trains to the airport (station is Southampton Parkway/Airport) every 15 minutes or thereabouts take about 10 mins & costs £3.70

(a taxi to Southampton central station costs about £6, then add the train fares means if you're going to jump in a taxi at the port you might as well take it all the way to the airport)

Stash your luggage (desk in terminal)

Go to the airport station - about 100 yards from the terminal - & take a train (every 20 mins or thereabouts) to Winchester. Day-return costs £5.40 & the journey takes only about 10 mins

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

Winchester is a historic city, with an impressive cathedral

JB :)

Thank you! Great advice with the luggage!