Advise for cruising while pregnant

Me and hubby will be crusing Nov. 20th on the Mariner and found out just last month we were pregnant. If all goes well I will be 17 weeks at the time of the cruise. This is my first pregnancy and so far it hasn't been very kind LOL... the whole nausious sick thing is wearing me down big time. (hopefully I will be as lucky as everyone else and that will stop next week once I hit 13 weeks) That said canceling the cruise is not an option nor would I want to if it was. We do have a balcony cabin on the 10th floor so I will have the ability to go out there for alone sea air time.

Anyone who has cruised while pregnant or with your wife while they were pregnant that could give some advise on good and bad things to do or eat while on the cruise would be greatly appreciates. Also, if you have any tips for dealing with seasickness without medication I am totally open. (I have tried the wristbands but unfortunatly they are one size fits all and I guess my wrists are to big b/c they caused me to get brusies)

Thank you in advance for all your advise and tips :D

P.S. - I was told somewhere that if you fax the doctors note ahead of time and talk to the special needs desk that they give you the ability to board sooner then some people is this true? (not that it really matters b/c I am with a family group and I plan on boarding with them reguardless of the wait time...just curious)

Make sure you keep yourself well hydrated. This may not be the time to try alot of new foods, but follow your cravings and just enjoy this time.

As far as avoiding seasickness- raw apples are good, crackers also. A good reason to order room service first thing in the morning. Get some tea and toast and keep some apples in your cabin. Ask your doc about taking ginger capsules. Alot of people feel they work great to avoid seasickness. you need to start taking them a few days before you leave.

The Mariner is a big ship so hopefully you won't have a problem with seasickness.

Enjoy your cruise and congrats!

Bev

This is a hard post to answer, because everyone is different. I can only say that at 17 weeks, I was well past the morning sickness stage with both of my kids (although it didn't limit itself to just mornings). You should talk to your Doctor for advice on what to take if the morning or motion sickness bothers you on your cruise. As to your question about faxing a doctors note to board the ship early...why would you need to? If your pregnancy prevents you from waiting in line for a while, you probably shouldn't be cruising at all. I'm not trying to be mean, but at that point in your pregnancy it shouldn't affect your ability to stand in line, etc. Best advice is to talk to your doctor and keep your health and that of your child as top priority.

I to was 17-18 weeks (first baby) on our last cruise. You will most likely be over the woozies by then. If not the stability of the ship should be little difference than at home, so just go with the last advice for eating as such. I suffered no sickness what so ever. I ate, ate and ate some more that is the AWESOME part about being pregnant and on a cruise ship, no worries about gaining weight!!!

For all port days out in the sun make sure you drink lots of water, walk a little slower to avoid extra heat exersion. Obviously avoid the hot tubs. Dip in and out of the pool lots, babies like the feeling of weightlessness and so will your body.

The only thing is I wish I had a T-shirt that read "baby in here" because of the many times I had to say no to a drink by the pool. I guess no different that someone that doesn't drink but I would just point to my belly and say no thanks. I wore a Tankini and was very comfortable.

Have a great time!!!! Eat lots!!!! Enjoy your last moments of SLEEP!!!

If I were you I would buy one & bring it along, just in case. They were developed for just this purpose (medical conditions like morning sickness & nausea caused by chemo) because they don't involve taking any medications, have no side effects, & shouldn't harm you or your unborn child. Of course, check with your Dr. first, but my PG friends swear by them!

First of all CONGRATULATIONS!!The sea bands don't work for me but I bought a wrist band that looks like a watch.It is adjustable.They emit some kind of electronic waves.You may want to ask your doctor about these.I bought mine from the Sharper Image.They were pricey at about $100 but very worth it to me.I have used it for years on cruises and at theme parks.I am very prone to motion sickness.

Congratulations! Sorry to hear that these early weeks aren't going well for you. I suffered with horrible morning (more like all day) sickness, and I know it feels like it will never end. Then one morning I woke up and felt completely fine!

Everyone has given great advice. I will add a suggestion for Ginger Altoids. These helped get me through the horrendous nausea of the first trimester, and ginger is also recommended for seasickness.

This may be a less popular suggestion, but perhaps you should talk with your OB about getting a prescription. He gave me compazine for the sickness and while I still didn't feel perfect, I could at least function. And I can vouch for no ill effects to the baby. I had a 9 lb, 10 oz darling who scored 9's on her apgars. I was hesitant to take anything but was so glad I did!

My son turns 1 tomorrow, and I cruised last year in May 04 on the Monarch-that would have made me-counting on fingers...about 14-16 weeks pregnant at the time (4th month)-but he was my second, so it wasn't anything new to me at that point.

It was a 4 night cruise with 8 family members, and I had a great time, the pregnancy wasn't even a factor for the most part-I didn't do the rock wall or go jet skiing, but that was the only real difference!

I think the main concern is when in your pregnancy you travel-I have traveled with both of my pregnancies many times, but I only traveled during months 4, 5, 6, and 7-I was sick as a dog both times for the first 3 months, so I wouldn't have wanted to go anywhere. And after month 7, I was just not in a traveling mood-kinda wanted to stay close to home, plus it isn't the most attractive time to go to the caribbean looking like a small whale:p .

My advice is go and have a great time-17 weeks is the perfect time to go-I wasn't even really showing on my cruise last year, even though I was in the 4th month-so its a great time-you'll have fun-plus it may be the last time you go anywhere for quite a long time....Also, it will be a great time to take lots of photos to remember both your cruise and your pregnancy-good luck!!!

Just got off the Explorer a little over a month ago and I was with my boyfriends sister, who was 5 months pregnant at the time. Besides getting a little tuckered out easily while walking in ports in the heat, you couldn't put a pregnant woman in a better place!! She got to have frequent, small meals when she needed, got to relax by the pool and cool off in the pool (she said it felt great being in the water because it's the one time she felt weightless and didn't feel pregnant!!) and take naps in the temp controlled cabin. She was worried about seasickness but it never bothered her. She had the bands, but you should ask you docter first because supposedly if you wear them wrong they can induce pregnancy?!?!? Could be a buncha crap but better safe than sorry i guess. She never wore the bands because she felt so great without them (we were all very relieved). She said that the only thing that bummed her out was that she couldn't do certain things like jetskiing, jeep rides...etc...but was amazed at how much there is to do for people that aren't drinking and partying. (we decided we'll do that with her on a future cruise when she's not pregnant.) She had an amazing time...I think it's really what she needed before having her first baby!!!

Congrats!!! Relax and enjoy the cruise...you deserve it!!!

Laura

I cruised when I was about 15-16 weeks pregnant with my daughter for 10-days in the Mexican Riviera.

Make sure you bring lots of loose clothing. I don't know if it's because I had my children so close together or what, but I 'popped' out really early! I actually just packed maternity wear. I also ate frequently (read: grazed constantly:o ). Ginger ale and crackers work great for morning sickness. I had a couple of times where I felt a bit off, but nothing a nice nap couldn't take care of!

Also, as mentioned be sure to get plenty of water. Dehydration is not a good thing, especially when pregnant.

Just make sure you don't run yourself ragged and get lots of rest. You'll have a fantastic time.

Oh, and remember, that the second trimester is dubbed the "Honeymoon" trimester! ;)

Congratulations!

Keep your feet up as much as possible. Easy to do poolside and on the beach:)

If you feel like indulging yourself, see if the spa can do a pregnancy massage,

(I don't remember if they offer one) or a foot massage is fab too when you're

preggers.

Ditto on the crackers, I used to feel better after I ate them with some Caffeine

Free Coke, couldn't take the Ginger Ale.

Have a great time and good luck! :)

Archived