Cruise Center / Margaritaville Cabana in Grand Turk (Conquest, April 8)

ericrz

My main review of our Conquest cruise is here (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=49750684) but here are a few notes on our experience at the Grand Turk Cruise Center.

I feel a little silly not to have left the grounds of the cruise center in Grand Turk. But then I remember how gorgeous it was, how I could have easily spent another two days there!

Carnival owns a huge cruise center in GT, including a giant pool (with wave simulator), a Margaritaville restaurant / bar / gift shop, cabanas around the pool, a beach, and multiple other stores including a Ron Jon’s Surf Shop.

My middle brother and his wife rented a cabana at the pool ($140 for the day). They have a two-year-old, and wanted to be able to get him out of the sun as needed, maybe even have him take a nap (didn’t happen). The small cabana had air conditioning, a couple of couches and a coffee table inside, and four chairs on the front porch. It also featured a dedicated button to call one of Margaritaville’s servers over, a nice touch!!

We claimed 4-5 loungers right in front of cabana #5, and the 11 of us made that spot our home base for the day. We were in and out of the pool all day, which was only 20 or so steps from the cabana.

Many of our group (myself included!) are huge Jimmy Buffett fans, or “Parrotheads,” so this was paradise. And, when I discovered the swim-up bar at one end of the pool, I never wanted to leave! The pool area is absolutely gorgeous and huge, with pedestrian bridges crossing over it in a couple of places. The swim-up bar is fairly small (maybe 10 seats or so) but the bartenders were friendly. I opened a tab (handed over my credit card) and repeatedly sent family members over throughout the day to get a drink. My bill was around $250 when all was said and done, but it was well worth it.

The pool was warm and gorgeous, and one end (nearest our cabana) was “zero entry,” the depth gradually sloping down. This was great for the kids, especially the 2-year-old.

My 6-year-old nephew spent about 45 minutes taking turns on the wave simulator, the “FlowRider.” The staff was great with him, and he was able to progress from body surfing, to kneeling, to standing on the board during our time there. My brother of course then had to purchase the professional photos that they take of each surfer as well (I mean, he didn’t have to, but they were so good, he wanted to.)

We ate lunch at the cabana, delivered by one of the servers. If you’ve ever been to a Margaritaville restaurant, you know the menu -- it includes the famous “volcano nachos,” and I didn’t even look any further!!

We only got a brief glance at the beach, never went over there to spend any time, if only because the pool was so nice!

Especially to be on our last of four consecutive port days, it was such a nice and wonderfully relaxing day. Maybe, on a future visit to Grand Turk we’d actually book an excursion and explore the rest of the island.

But, honestly? I kind of doubt it.

Pictures are here!

Cruise 2016: Grand Turk

• 2 weeks later...