Oceania Shore Excursion Question

Bruin Steve

So, I enter the Oceania website and go to the "Already Booked" section, pull up my cruise and go to "Shore Excursions"...

First, know that we split the same day between Delos and Mykonos...Delos from 8-12 am and Mykonos from 2-11 pm...

They show zero shore excursions for Delos...But they have two options for Mykonos: A 2.5 hour walking tour on Mykonos...and a 4 hour tour of Delos:

>> Mythical Delos

Tour Length: Half-Day (Approximately 4 hours)

Tour Price: $69.00

[Edited]...We shall board a local boat from the port of Mykonos to take us to the ancient site of Delos. Once there, a walking tour will enable us to see one of the most respected and revered sanctuaries of antiquity.<<

Are they REALLY waiting until we get to Mykonos to offer a tour of Delos with a boat ride back to Delos from Mykonos? Or should there be a tour of Delos offered WHILE docked or moored at Delos? Presumably less expensive as well since it wouldn't require round trip boat transportation?

I'm puzzled...

From looking at the different itineraries, I think Oceania just started going to Delos in the morning and then to Mykonos. Some of the itineraries still have just Mykonos and that excursion makes a lot of sense in that case. When I researched Delos, basically you are right at the archaelogical site and there is nothing else there so that's it.

Yes, I think Oceania's site is still using the itinerary from last summer, which I believe only stopped at Mykonos. When we visited there in '99 we took the tender to a pier, of sorts, and walked up to the small museum and then up into the hills. I definitely think it is a 'tour on your own' port.

We did the Delos tour in April, 2004 and the most prominent remembrance was "WINDY." My, that wind just blew & blew. Our guide said it is always windy there. Fortunately, my pants coat/raincoat had a hood. It was a bright, sunny day so the wind wasn't particularly weather related.

There was a ferry that took us from near the cruiseship dock in Mykonos to Delos, I'm remembering about an hour on choppy seas. We treked through the ruins on uneven ground. You could easily get a good picture of the guardian lions, a well-known symbol of Delos. Otherwise, we took pictures of wall paintings, mosaics, poppies, columns, and ruins, ruins, ruins.

I think if you read up ahead of time on the architectural/religious significance of the site you'd get a lot more out of the tour as, because of the wind and the terrain, you could not always hear or be close enough to the guide at all times.

On the return people just walked back to the ship rather than take the shuttle bus. However, at one point you had to hang on to the port's fence and swing around over the water's edge to get onto the "secure" property. This was done by just about all but one busload of ferry passengers.

As you can tell, not one of my favorite places, but I'm glad I was there once. Someday I'll catch up on the significance of the place.

Archived