Need some quick help regarding weather for a cruise

Wondering if someone can help me - have to quickly decide on a cruise from Sydney that goes to Brisbane, Cairns, Darwin, Adelaide, Melbourne, Perth & NZ ports as well from mid February until mid March.

I have checked the weather averages and forecasts etc. and know that the temps will be good and hot but am a bit concerned about rainfall. Some say it can be the rainy season in certain places and are mentioning flooding and possible cyclones :eek:, so would like an opinion if this would be too "wet" a time to go?

I used to live & work in Sydney (for a short time), many moons ago, and have travelled to other parts of Australia and to New Zealand as well but cannot remember exactly when the rainy season is for all these different places.

Any help would be appreciated as we have to secure a cabin fast to get the one we want.

Thanks very much:)

Canuck

Ok, I think I figured out that Sydney, Perth, Adelaide & Melbourne should be fairly dry at that time of year. I think the danger could lie in Cairns, Darwin & possibly Brisbane being the wettest (although not sure on that - I think the first two could be wetter). I have been to Cairns & Brisbane but can't remember what time of year it was but it wasn't raining. I think NZ is ok as people had said that the best time to visit was February & March.

Anyone have any opinions out there?

Thanks.

Canuck

You're right. Those northern cities are likely to be wet and very humid, but usually the storm hits in the afternoon and it's dry the rest of the day. The southern cities will likely be dry and warm - we don't really have a wet season in Sydney/Melb etc. Having said that, summer (Dec-Feb) is prone to storms anywhere in Australia, so just be prepared for four seasons in one day. I wouldn't worry about cyclones - a rare event that can't be predicted this far in advance anyway.

I've cruised in Darwin, Cairns and Great Barrier Reef in Jan/Feb four times. On two cruises, the ship skipped a port due to bad weather, on the other two cruises it was fine (just very humid).

All international ships doing circumnavigation cruises of Australia do it in summer, so if you want to cruise around our country, I say just book it! But don't expect sunshine every day up north. If you have your heart set on the Great Barrier Reef, for example, you might want to consider staying on land for a few days pre or post cruise, just in case it's rained out on the day your ship visits.

Hope that helps!

The weather is really hard to predict so far out. What has been already mentioned above is roughly true going back over the years. However this year has seen a very dry/hot overall season across the Queensland Coast. Hardly any heavy, summer rain, the warmest March on record in Brisbane & a never ending summer. No hint of a cyclone either & normally there would have already been a few to watch out for by now.

So this would have been a great season to be visiting northern Australian ports.