Panama Canal excursions

Cruiseteach

My traveling friend and I are getting together for lunch on Thursday to decide on our excursions for our Panama Canal cruise in March. I need help and advice:

1. What were your favorite, not-to-be-missed excursions in each port?

2. We are two almost 60, overweight,out-of-shape, but ready-for-anything- reasonable, retired teachers. (We're not handicapped or anything, just not up to things like rock climbing, zip-lining, hiking 5+ miles or scuba.) What would you recommend? We know we want to do the arial tram, but haven't decided what else. Also haven't decided which location for the tram.

3. The Stingray City Sandbar excursion- how strong a swimmer do you have to be to get from the boat to the sandbar? Same with the dolphin swim.

4. Does Princess really get their optional tours up on exactly Day-120? (That would make ours Nov. 4) How early? (I am prepared to get up early to get what we want.)

Thanks in advance for your help.

The canal and rain forest tram ride in Costa Rica was the best on our Coral Princess canal cruise. A little pricey but worth it. $219

Costa Rica's Favoritesspacer.gifExplore the rain forest canopy on an aerial tram ride that’s been featured on Discovery Channel, then cruise the pristine waterways of the Tortuguero Canals.

Board your air-conditioned transportation for the approximately two-hour drive to the tram site, located at an eco-tourism and research facility near Braulio Carrillo National Park. Your one hour and 15 minute tram ride travels through the rain forest canopy, home to two-thirds of Costa Rica’s rain forest species. Then enjoy a traditional Costa Rican lunch at a local restaurant before continuing to your launch site in the Tortuguero Canals. Enjoy a snack of fruits and a complimentary beverage prior to boarding a covered mawamba boat for a leisurely cruise as your guide explains the wetlands eco-system. Keep an eye out for wildlife including howler monkeys, sloths, toucans and crocodiles as well as exotic flora. At the end of your cruise, board your waiting transportation for the short transfer to the ship.

SPECIAL NOTES

Tour sequence may vary. Wildlife sightings are not guaranteed. Wear comfortable clothes and sturdy walking shoes or hiking boots. Bring a hat, rain gear, camera and binoculars.

The sting ray tour is waist high water usually (depending on the tide). We ranked it among the top tours as well. Might be difficult getting in and out of the boat as it is by ladder.

I dont think you will need to be that fast on booking the excursions nut you can always cancel them.

Archived