Viking Ocean - Dining Questions

Bike100

My wife and I have booked a cruise on the Viking Sky for next year (2017). We have been on their river cruises before, but this is the first on their ocean cruise. For this cruise, we are celebrating our 50th wedding anniversary. On the river cruise, the evening dining was at a fixed time, but I am presuming that it is anytime dining on the ocean cruise - is this correct? Also, can anyone recommend which of their specialty restaurants may be the best for our anniversary dining? Thanks.

More or less anytime. As I recall dinner went from 6:30 to 8:30 or 9:00 as a rule. Sometimes later if a tour was expected back later.

I would suggest Manfredi's for dinner for your anniversary. If you want a very private table, let them know - many, but not all, of the tables are close together. If you have a few friends that you want to celebrate with, there's a private dining room at Manfredi's that seats 10 to 12. If you want this room, I would reserve it first thing when you get onboard. There's not as option to reserve it ahead of time. It has a gorgeous table that's made of a solid piece of wood,and the room is lovely and completely private.

Enjoy!

Totally agree with Elizabeth. We joined her and others in the private dining room to celebrate the birthday of a really good person. It was lovely.

Conversely, my DH and I celebrated our anniversary as well on the show. We reserved Manifredi's ahead of the cruise for that date. When we were on board we let them know of our celebration. We had a great table and were extra taken care of by the staff.....which was hard to do considering every night that we ate there it was amazing food and service.

• 5 months later...
My wife and I have booked a cruise on the Viking Sky for next year (2017). can anyone recommend which of their specialty restaurants may be the best for our anniversary dining? Thanks.

Just got off the Star and the Homelands cruise. Manfredi's is a good choice to celebrate. We attended a birthday party in the private dining room and another night ate in the main dining area. The seating is more private and the experience nice but we found the Chef's table to be to our liking and managed to take in all 5 menu changes. Let me preface this by saying I am not a fine dining junkie. Usually, if the restaurant doesn't have a drive through, I haven't been. I don't much care for wine. Will usually have a diet Pepsi instead. That being said, I really enjoyed the Chef Table experience. Try it early to see what you think. We tried the last night of first menu and first night of second menu and booked for the other changes before we left that night. I might also add that we were in V1 cabin, so no pre cruise booking for us. The first time we showed up when they opened and asked if we could get in any time that night and we were seated immediately. Found what you might think is impossible can be done at specialty venues if you approach with the right attitude. About the Chef's Table, we wanted the experience. You're on board, why not experience it all. You will not leave hungry. The portions are small, compared to Friday's but there are 5 courses. The wines are samplings but you could get more. Remember there are 5 varieties. I never knew wine came without a screw top! Just kidding.

If there is something you think you might not like, try it. There are more courses if you find it not to your liking. For me it was salmon. In the Northern European menu it was offered 2 ways for 1 course and the good news was that the flavor was well masked and I really could hardly tell it was there. That was one thing that sold us on this restaurant. The other thing to remember is the portions are small so you don't have to be fully committed to each course. If it's not what you thought, the World Cafe always has dessert. We were traveling as 2 but the tables are close enough that you can easily compare your take with the adjoining table. We had several nice conversations and cruise friendships develop in the venue. There is an upgrade for wine if you choose for a slight charge but certainly isn't necessary to enjoy the meal as presented. Don't miss this opportunity. It's not PBJ or caviar but it is worth a try.

• 3 weeks later...
My wife and I have booked a cruise on the Viking Sky for next year (2017). We have been on their river cruises before, but this is the first on their ocean cruise. For this cruise, we are celebrating our 50th wedding anniversary. On the river cruise, the evening dining was at a fixed time, but I am presuming that it is anytime dining on the ocean cruise - is this correct? Also, can anyone recommend which of their specialty restaurants may be the best for our anniversary dining? Thanks.

My wife and I just celebrated our 25th on the Sea, and chose Manfredi's. Excellent evening.