Engine Problems on the Grand

ScubaJim

I read on another thread about Engine problems and that the Grand Princess is having engine problems. Does anyone have any more infor on this. By the way I read this on the thread on NCL and the NCL Dream which is down one engine(she has 4 engines).

I read on another thread about Engine problems and that the Grand Princess is having engine problems. Does anyone have any more infor on this. By the way I read this on the thread on NCL and the NCL Dream which is down one engine(she has 4 engines).

This is old news. In early Sept they had a problem on a cruise and missed a couple of ports. They must have gotten things straighten out because we sailed the Rome to Venice leg 23 Sep to 5 Oct without any problems.

We were on the Grand immediately after the cruise that had problems.

Our ports of call were slightly re-ordered (none were cancelled) and some port times were shortened a little, but quite honestly it didn't really affect us and we thought that the problems must have been sorted because the ship seemed to be travelling at a good speed. Princess gave us $150 per passenger compensation.:)

We are on the Grand now. So far, after two days of sailing, we have only seen the starboard engines running. Also noticed that even in calm seas, significant amount of rocking from side to side. So far, the ports are really close together, so we'll have to wait and see if this will be a problem in the next several days. No mention of problems or changes in itinerary yet. We sailed out of Barcelona last evening and are currently sailing from Marseille to Livorno. Will try to keep you posted.

Make that one engine down out of four on the NCL Dream, not only one engine working :)

Thanks for the update. Keep us posted if you can. Lots of folks are eagerly awaiting the Grand's return to Galveston and are hoping for smooth sailing.

Do you know if any of the new perks are showing up yet in the minis?

We are on the Grand now. So far, after two days of sailing, we have only seen the starboard engines running. Also noticed that even in calm seas, significant amount of rocking from side to side. So far, the ports are really close together, so we'll have to wait and see if this will be a problem in the next several days. No mention of problems or changes in itinerary yet. We sailed out of Barcelona last evening and are currently sailing from Marseille to Livorno. Will try to keep you posted.
It sounds as though there aren't any problems with your cruise. I don't think "rocking" has anything to do with the engines (but I'm not an engineer). You'll find a lot more movement on the Grand class ships than the smaller ships due to the fact that the Grand class ships have a shallower draft and wider beam, making them more prone.

I was on the cruise starting aug. 30 & we had engine problems for over 1-2 of the cruise so we missed two ports & arrived a day early for a thrid port so all our tours were cancelled. To top it off, Princess cancelled the 1st leg of our air trip home from Venice(why we dont know) & refused to help us. We were told we were on our own or to call the LA office--not possible as it was midnight there. It was a Sunday so all flights were booked, however, the airline was very helpful & got someone to give up their seats for us. We also had problems on our balcony as the two rooms next to us had toilet problems & its spilled over to our balcony. Princess gave us $400 credit, but we felt it was not enough. They did not agree & refused to give us any additional credits. This cruise cost us over $10,000!

Thanks for keeping us up tp date - will be watching for more info. Those of us making the Trans Atalantic trip as the Grand returns to Galveston are watching carefully to see if the problems are indeed solved.

I hope your trip is going well! Enjoy!

So far, after two days of sailing, we have only seen the starboard engines running.

What do you mean "see". Are you talking about seeing only one turbulence stream from the propellers? I assume you can't see the props themselves while underway...

You'll find a lot more movement on the Grand class ships than the smaller ships due to the fact that the Grand class ships have a shallower draft and wider beam, making them more prone.

I disagree... Larger weight, wider beam and longer length increase stability. We have sailed smaller ships (Starward / original Dawn Princess / Independence / Nieuw Amsterdam) to name a few and they can get to rocking and rolling. The shorter ships will pitch much more. I have even felt more motion on the Regal than the Sun and Grand class ships.

Archived