Solo W. Mediterranean cruise w-free airfare, go for it?

j3dnight

Hello :)

I have never been on a cruise before, I travel quite a bit when I can but not by ship. I have looked into the Norwegian Epic solo stateroom for a 7-day Western Mediterranean cruise next Spring. The total price with taxes, beverage package, insurance and a fee is $1635. If I get my flight free, shouldn't I go for this ?

thanks for your help!

Hello :)

I have never been on a cruise before, I travel quite a bit when I can but not by ship. I have looked into the Norwegian Epic solo stateroom for a 7-day Western Mediterranean cruise next Spring. The total price with taxes, beverage package, insurance and a fee is $1635. If I get my flight free, shouldn't I go for this ?

thanks for your help!

What's your hesitation? Are you asking if it's a good deal or...??

I just booked a western Med for next year--I also booked a studio. Paid about $400 less than that but mine doesn't include insurance and no flight (how'd you get the flight included?) and I received $100 on-board credit, so that sounds like a good deal to me. If that's what you're asking...

Yes thanks Quilting Cruiser, I wasn't sure if that was a good price or not. I have a free flight using miles. I couldn't really find anything about what the usual price is, sale price and that sort of thing. I was feeling like it was a good deal but just wanted to make sure :)

I also wanted something a bit special for my first cruise. This could get addictive!

Yes thanks Quilting Cruiser, I wasn't sure if that was a good price or not. I have a free flight using miles. I couldn't really find anything about what the usual price is, sale price and that sort of thing. I was feeling like it was a good deal but just wanted to make sure :)

I also wanted something a bit special for my first cruise. This could get addictive!

It's just an addiction waiting to happen! LOL.

There isn't a "usual price." It's whatever the cruise line charges--I'm sure they have algorithms for demand for different sailings, and such, but like any other business, they're going to charge with the market will bear. Watch the prices and if it goes down before your final payment date, you'll be able to get the lower price (but make sure you check if they're still offering the beverage package with the new price or you would lose it). On my last cruise, they didn't offer any perks for studios so it was a surprise for me when I booked on Monday and got the beverage package with my studio booking.

There's a Solo forum here on Cruise Critic where you may find some helpful information. There are also Port of Call boards where you can find tons of information about the ports you're visiting and excursions to go on.

Also, there's a roll call section where you can "meet" others who'll be on your sailing (just go to the Norwegian Cruise Line Roll Calls section and select Norwegian Epic and then search for your sailing). Usually someone on the roll call will coordinate a meet and greet on the ship and often times other activities get planned. One of the great things about roll calls is arranging for group tours--you can do small group tours usually significantly cheaper than booking through the cruise line and most often higher quality and with fewer people. :D

I hope you love your first cruise!!

That seems very expensive for a Studio cabin. I've sailed Epic three times and the highest I ever paid was a thousand.

You've gotten great deals! :D

Including the DSC, taxes, etc. I paid $904 for my 10-day Canary Islands cruise. But, for my 7-day western Med next year, the fare is only about $300 less than the OP and I didn't purchase NCL's insurance. Keep in mind OP is including insurance and S/C on the UBP in that price, too.

Edited by Quilting_Cruiser

Yes that's correct, $1635 is the cruise, service charge, ultimate beverage package, taxes and insurance.

Thanks for the roll call advise! I am really looking forward to this :)

lots to learn though !

Yes that's correct, $1635 is the cruise, service charge, ultimate beverage package, taxes and insurance.

Thanks for the roll call advise! I am really looking forward to this :)

lots to learn though !

I would not book at that price personally. If the airfare is free I guess that's an offset but that's almost double for what I have ever paid for those. Med cruises.

Edited by Tinyturtle22

Do you think it's because I booked too late or too early? Did you get the single stateroom? It's only me going.

thanks!

Unfortunately, there's no sure way to tell when's the best time to book. Fares fluctuate. As I mentioned before, keep an eye on them and if they go down, call and get the new price. I've had fares that did nothing but go up after I booked and other times ended up paying 1/2 what I booked at because fares just kept going down...

We can give you more informed opinions if you post your base fare--that's the fare without taxes and port fees, insurance, service charge on the UBP, etc. The price of the cruise fare with nothing added...

It's hard to compare with the total price since there are variables.

Do you think it's because I booked too late or too early? Did you get the single stateroom? It's only me going.

thanks!

I think it's a combination of a few different things but you can get a price adjustment if the price goes down before final payment is due. Just keep checking.

I originally booked the western med for sept on EPIC as a bundle and changed it to cruise only.....I found I could get the flight for same price on my own and be able to pick flights/seats an was able to pick my cabin on the ship.....I looked up the hotel they were assigning and it was $93 a night on all the sites....bottom line is price was about the same if I did it all on my own but being able to know my flights/seats and cabin sealed the deal

The base cost looks to me $1299, says guest fare so I'll keep an eye on it , so you just ring them if you see it go down ?

Really appreciate your input !

That's what my original base was and then I contacted the TA my other booking is with. She quoted $1249 plus gave me $100 on-board credit, so essentially I'm paying $1,149. Sounds like that's pretty much the price for that itinerary currently.

As mentioned before, keep watching the prices and if they go down give them a call. But, before you do be sure to look at what the promos are. First figure out if it's worth it for you. Since you have the UBP, if the fare goes down, but they aren't running a promo where you get UBP with a studio (studio bookings don't always get a choice of a perk) then it won't make sense to rebook at the new fare because you'd lose the UBP perk and to buy it outright it's something like $80 per day plus 18% gratuity. But, if the promo's still offered and the fare goes down, then go for it. You can do that up until your final payment date. After that if the fare goes down, you can call and see if they'll either upgrade you or give you a little on-board credit, but they don't really owe you anything.

Cheers!

:D