Question for Recent Jewel cruisers from Boston

TrinChick

We're preparing to sail on the Jewel out of Boston on Saturday and have a couple of questions:

First, what time does boarding actually take place? Our docs say 2:00 but the ship sails at 5:00 and I'd love to board early and have lunch on the ship.

Secondly, how is the weather on the first day at sea and the last day at sea? I'm assuming cool, but I'm always optimistic. Should I plan for long pants and a sweater or can I hope to wear pedal-pushers?

Finally, any tips you'd like to share? I've often had experiences where I discover a "hidden gem" such as a secluded deck chair or underused buffet station on the last couple of days of the trip and think that I wished I had known about it earlier in the cruise. Please share your experiences!

Thanks so much in advance!

...You can arrive aby 11am, and will probably board by noon, but they will ask

you not to go to your room till later,,

Check out your room anyway, it may be ready for you..

(although they may have the firedoors closed on your level to prevent you from doing that..sometimes they do..sometimes not..)

You'll have plenty of time to catch lunch....

I'll let others answer additional inquirys..have a great cruise!

Mitch

We boarded on October 2 by about 11:30. Had a drink poolside, lunch in the windjammer, room ready at 1:00. It was cool the first two days, very nice the last sea, but cold and rainy the morning we disembarked. Favorite spots: seaview cafe for lunch, the gym, champagne bar before dinner. You will love the Jewel. Nancy

Did the Jewel out of Boston about a month ago. If I recall correctly, we were on board and in our cabin by 1:30-ish.

Can't help much with the weather. I was expecting cool temps on the first and last nights, but the day we left Boston it was 90. The day we returned was around 85.

Hi Izsu...

We were on the 9/12 sailing together. We did have excellent weather, but I do not think you will have the same at this time of the year. Better to plan on cooler weather. I did sail out of Boston on 10/31 one year, and it was very nice on deck. Certainly not pool weather, we did have a light jacket on. It will be cooler until you get much further south. Bermuda, at this time of the year, is still warm, however they do not consider it swimming weather.

The Jewel is a beautiful ship, and you will love sailing her. As far a hidden gems, try the Seaview Cafe for lunch or snack one day. It was pretty good.

We had two formal nights and ALOT of casual nights. It was one of the best cruises we have had because with so many sea days, we found it to be very relaxing.

Have a great time

We'll be boarding with you on Saturday. It will be our third time on Jewel (last one was this year's transatlantic from Harwich, England to Boston). You should be able to board between 11:30 and noon assuming the ship arrives on time and there are no delays with debarkation.(We were off the ship before 9am and I believe that everyone had cleared the ship by 10:30 after the transatlantic).

Seaview cafe on deck 12 aft is a hidden gem that a lot of people don't even find until midway through the cruise. Also pizza and made-to-order crepes are available in the Solarium, if not on the day we board, then the rest of the cruise.

As you know from the experience of the last several days, it is extremely difficult to know what kind of temperatures we will have when we sail or on our final day before we get back. I would bring a windbreaker or sweatshirt just in case it is cool or windy on deck. We will be heading into the Gulf Stream as we sail towards Bermuda so I expect that the temperatures should be mild to warm on our first day at sea.You might check out the Bermuda long-range forecast to see what we can expect when we arrive there on Monday.

Fortunately the Solarium is covered and temperature controlled so we can still enjoy a swim or the hot tub, or a period of relaxation on one of the padded lounge chairs if the weather is less than ideal.

If you haven't been on a Radiance class ship before you are in for a treat.

PS: look for the flamingoes on Deck 13 on the oceanside of the elevators ;)

Archived