Suggestions would be appreciated

AnnetteSC

My family (myself, DH, adult son and DD13) and my brother's (my brother, SIL and their DD16) will be going on the Summit to Bermuda in August.

As part of our booking package, we received extra on-board-credit. Everyone wants to do the caves/zoo/aquarium trip. Celebrity offers it as an excursion at $99 pp (our OBC would cover that) but, after reading all the great tips here, I'm thinking it might be easy (and so much less expensive) if we did it on our own.

It's our first time there so, in your opinion, should we venture out and do it ourselves or go with the arranged excursion? Also, is there a charge to get into the above mentioned places?

I saw the great list with bus #s that SBtS has posted here (thank you, fellow CT resident! :) ) but, realistically, is it doable by newbies?

Thanks in advance! :D

Yes, it is doable by newbies, and everybody was a once a newbie.

I would do the caves first by taking the earliest ferry to Hamilton. Walk from the ferry terminal to the bus terminal on Church St., and board a route #10 or #11 bus. Tell the bus driver what your destination is (the caves). The driver will drop you at the closest bus stop to the caves. Tour one (or both). The reason for an early start is to get to the caves before tour buses arrive.

After the cave tour, retrace your steps to where the bus stop is that you were originally dropped at. Cross the road to the inbound bus stop, and board a route #10 or #11 bus, and tell the bus driver what your destination is (BAMZ).

After touring BAMZ, return to the bus stop you were dropped at, and board an inbound route #10 or #11 bus to Hamilton.

Make sure you have tokens or passes before you board the ferry at the Dockyard. You can buy more tokens at the VIC at the Hamilton ferry dock.

You may want to stop at the Swizzle Inn for a drink, snack, and/or lunch.

An option would be to use taxi while in Hamilton but it would be expensive, but riding the bus you'll get to meet Bermudians.

Map to get to caves from bus stop:

MapToCavesV2.jpg

SBtS

Thank you so much, SBtS! Your explanation is very detailed and gives me the confidence that we can do it!:)

Just a couple more questions if I may...would it be easier if we got a taxi (there are at least 5 of us who want to go and might be worth the cost)?

Is there an entrance charge to the caves and BAMZ?

Thank you so much, SBtS! Your explanation is very detailed and gives me the confidence that we can do it!:)

Just a couple more questions if I may...would it be easier if we got a taxi (there are at least 5 of us who want to go and might be worth the cost)?

Is there an entrance charge to the caves and BAMZ?

A taxi from Hamilton to the caves for up to 7 passengers would be about $34 plus tip, Mon to Sat travel. Compared to the bus where the fare would be $4.50 P/P, token, one way.

There is a taxi stand on Front St in Hamilton to the right of the ferry dock, and it would save the up hill walk to the bus terminal.

SBtS