Food intolerances on Princess cruises

kunoichi

We have a cruising friend who is also allergic to capsicum and Princess has always made sure he has no issues with his dining room food. They give him the next day's menu to review each night and the head waiter checks to make sure no capsicum will be hiding in his food. He has to be very vigilant if he eats lunch at the buffet, so he tends to grab something from the poolside grill on at sea days.

That sounds good, I hope the Princess has an allergy kitchen. I am not allergic, just intolerant, but it can be quite a painful inconvenience if I eat the wrong food.
There's no "allergy kitchen" but Princess is very careful about cross-contamination. Different food types have their own dedicated prep area. For instance, there are separate areas for beef, poultry and seafood.

We have a cruising friend who is also allergic to capsicum and Princess has always made sure he has no issues with his dining room food. They give him the next day's menu to review each night and the head waiter checks to make sure no capsicum will be hiding in his food. He has to be very vigilant if he eats lunch at the buffet, so he tends to grab something from the poolside grill on at sea days.

Yes, the buffet sounds like it could well be an issue for people with food issues, especially if they are allergic, not just intolerant! Glad your friend finds a way to avoid capsicums!

Of course, if your allergy is severe enough, you should always carry an epi-pen.

As it is an intolerance, not an allergy, an epi-pen wouldn't help matters. I just have to wait for bad reactions to pass, and hope they aren't so bad that I have a night time fainting episode!

There's no "allergy kitchen" but Princess is very careful about cross-contamination. Different food types have their own dedicated prep area. For instance, there are separate areas for beef, poultry and seafood.

Cool. Hopefully a separate area for wheat, and similar products! (Not that I have an issue with gluten, just with wheat - asking for gluten free is just the simplest way to avoid wheat.)

Hello

my mom is also on this diet but she only adheres it loosely. Her doctor gave her easy to understand info below from Stanford Hospital, I don't know if its what you use. hope it is helpful.

http://fodmapliving.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Stanford-University-Low-FODMAP-Diet-Handout.pdf

That is good, I am glad she doesn't have a bad issue with FODMAPs. I am mid-range with it, but seemingly getting worse.

Thanks for the PDF, that is a great handout to give to the maitre'd!! :)

A copy of the booklet from Monash might be useful to hand over, too..

Edited by kunoichi