Port Adventure recs (cabana? dolphin?)

limu

Hello! We are sailing on the Magic in October and I was hoping for some insight into Port Adventures.

We're set in Orlando, but are debating a cabana in Castaway Cay (I know they're hard to come by) and the dolphin swim in Nassau.

With the cabanas, I know bike rental is included. Does anyone know if they have bikes with training wheels (our children will be 3 and 5 at the time of sailing)? Also, if their is torrential rain ALL day would we receive a refund? Lastly, is it feasible to come and go from CC to the ship a couple of times when we're in port? If we don't get the cabana but want a little break would it worthwhile to go back to the ship or does it take a long time to get back and forth?

My husband is set on taking the children for the dolphin experience. Neither swim, so it would have to be a shallow water one. Can anyone make recs or offer insight into which one to choose? I'm leaning towards the one that's simple- not the one that includes the waterpark. Any other excursion recommended for that age group?

Thank you!

Well, your chances of a cabana from the Magic are certainly better than on the other ships, but as noted, they are in limited supply. I probably made 15 stops at Castaway before the cabanas were even built--you can have a great day without one. They are essentially a way to give DCL more money. Yes, you get a few benefits, the biggest of which (in my mind) is a place to lock up your stuff.

The ship docks at Castaway, so going back and forth is totally possible...but I don't know why you would do it. It is a bit of a walk from the tram stop to the ship. Then you look at showering off (either full body or foot showers are available and encouraged. When you get back on board, you'll want a real shower to remove the remaining sand and feel comfortable again....and after that, you aren't going to want to put on a swimsuit and hit the island again. We've often stayed on Castaway all day, sometimes come back early...but never have we gone out again after returning. BUT, you can certainly do so.

Yes, they have bikes with training wheels. They also have bikes with child seats if dad wants to ride around with the little one on the back. Helmets to fit all sizes as well.

My opinion--age 3 is too young for a dolphin "experience." This usually involves standing in waist deep (on an adult) water while the dolphins swim around you and allow you to touch them, etc. They do things like having you spread your legs and the dolphin will swim between your legs. We did this with my daughter (who was dolphin crazy) at about 6. That was great once she was comfortable...but we saw younger kids screaming, etc. If they aren't comfortable standing in the water that deep, it may not be a good experience. And it is a lot of money. I'd seriously wait another couple years for this one. And the best dolphin thing we've ever done was at Discovery Cove in Orlando. They've raised prices a whole lot since we did it, but it was the only "non-Disney" experience that had the guest service aspects of a Disney thing. It was excellent from start to finish.

I'm not sure if they'll even allow a 3 yo on the dolphin experience. I haven't done the one in Nassau, but I've done it a bunch of times in other places - and usually there is a minimum age. In my experience it's usually 6 or 7. But like moki'smommy said, even if they allow the 3 yo I don't think it'd be a great experience. Not even sure the 5 yo would enjoy it - my nephew was 6, and he was a bit scared, but eventually warmed up towards the end.

I also would suggest Discovery Cove - expensive, but totally worth the money!

Thanks! We are going to skip the dolphin swim and are leaning towards the glass bottom boat tour or just staying on the ship and enjoying the pools with less crowding

You can get off and SEE Castaway Cay...you don't have to stay all day, and you certainly don't need a cabana to have a great beach day!

I think they were talking about staying on board in Nassau. That's where they were looking at doing dolphins.

You didn't say whether or not you were a first time DCL cruiser. Cabanas are harder to come by the less cruises you have under your belt, since when you can make reservations for port adventures are driven by your castaway club status. Aside from the ability to lock stuff up, the other big advantage of the cabanas is you have a place to duck out of the sun. Having said that, cb is right, you can see castaway cay and have a nice beach day without one and you only have to stay out as long as you want. You'll find that as the day drags on, it gets less and less crowded as people head back to the ship. SO you can enjoy the quiet of the ship, then head ashore later on in the day for an hour or so when it's quieter to get a taste of the island.