Royal Princess Greece, Turkey, & Italy Medley Cruise

CruisingCoral

Thanks everyone! Just booked it!! Can't wait!!

Only been to Civitavicchea (Rome) and Kusadasi ports. Aside from Vatican city, the port is also nice explore its attractions around.

Took the Princess shorex to see the Virgin Mary's house in Kusadasi, with a nice countryside view along the way.

We liked the Royal Princess much esp. the Horizon court and the enlarged atrium.

Booking private excursions as opposed to cruise line excursions are an option. We just went on a Med cruise 6 months ago, had over a year to plan, and we met others on the roll call and were able to coordinate and share tours. We had 8 ports of call, 12 day cruise, and didn't book one cruiseline excursion. We were able to tailor tours to our liking. Tours of anywhere from 6-12 versus 25-40, payable in cash at end of tour, no money upfront. I haven't looked at your whole itinerary yet, but we used companies in Kusadasi for Ephuses, (can't recall the name right now) and we used a good company in a Athens, ROME, Florence, Southern Italy and In the Greek Islands and southern France. For some reason, all the names are escaping me right now. I will go back and look and get back to you. We saved a LOT of time and a lot of money by branching out on our own. Granted, In some ports you might feel more confident going with the cruiseline, but we fared just fine and were not EUROPE experts.

if you have any questions give me your email and I will email you with suggestions if you need any [emoji2]

DANA

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you so much Dana! I will definitely be reaching out to you in a couple months once shore excursions are open for booking!

We have visited Athens 3 times, Istanbul twice and Kusadai twice.

Beautiful destinations but ... :confused:

EMBASSY OF THE UNITED STATES

ANKARA - TURKEY

Message for U.S. Citizens

Security Message for U.S. Citizens: Credible Threats to Tourist Sites

April 26, 2016

The U.S. Embassy in Ankara informs U.S. citizens that the U.S. Government continues to receive credible indications that terrorist groups are seeking opportunities to attack popular tourist destinations throughout Turkey. The U.S. Embassy reminds U.S. citizens that foreign tourists in Turkey have been explicitly targeted by terrorist organizations, and advises U.S. citizens to be mindful of the potential for danger in crowded public areas and at popular tourist destinations.

This makes me so nervous! I've always been apprehensive traveling out of the country in this day and age but this is a bucket list trip for my parents and I couldn't pass it up! I'm just hoping everything will be okay and Princess will do the right thing regarding our safety. Even though I'm nervous and cautious about this stuff, I can't live my life in a bubble and just have to smart and aware of my surroundings.

Only been to Civitavicchea (Rome) and Kusadasi ports. Aside from Vatican city, the port is also nice explore its attractions around.

Took the Princess shorex to see the Virgin Mary's house in Kusadasi, with a nice countryside view along the way.

We liked the Royal Princess much esp. the Horizon court and the enlarged atrium.

My mom is dying to see the Vatican so we'll probably fly in a day early to go see it. I'm looking forward to trying the Royal! I've only been on the Island (before refit), Coral, and will be on the Grand this summer!

Great itinerary. We will be getting off the day you board, so we will just miss you.

We were on the Royal Princess in February and March. We had a wonderful time. Getting around the ship requires patience. It takes awhile to learn the layout.

Yes it does! Lovely ship though and I think it's going into dry dock for central stairs before the OP sails.

Have a fantastic trip. They are great ports. I hope the unrest in Turkey is over by the time you depart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by paddingtonbear

My mom is dying to see the Vatican so we'll probably fly in a day early to go see it. I'm looking forward to trying the Royal!

Nice to know. Your mom just have to be prepared for the long lines at St. Peter's Basilica, esp Sistine chapel. Enjoy your cruise!

If you decide to Do It Yourself, get a copy of Rick Steves's book Med Cruise Ports. It has great directions for getting to the sites and setting the most out of your visit to them.

Thank you for the recommendation! I'll definitely take a look at it. We'll most likely stick to Princess tours since it's like a "security blanket" for us in case the tour runs late or who else knows. Lol

Yes it does! Lovely ship though and I think it's going into dry dock for central stairs before the OP sails.

Have a fantastic trip. They are great ports. I hope the unrest in Turkey is over by the time you depart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fingers crossed that it will be getting central stairs! Our cabin is exactly midship so that would definitely come in handy! I saw that the Royal will be going into dry dock before we depart so I'm curious to find out what they'll be doing.

And thank you! I'm hoping the unrest will settle before we leave as well. I've been nervous to go to Europe because of it but I can't live my life in a bubble. Lol

Nice to know. Your mom just have to be prepared for the long lines at St. Peter's Basilica, esp Sistine chapel. Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks for the heads up! Since this is her dream trip, she probably won't mind the lines. At least we won't hear about them because she wants to do it. Lol

We have been to all of these ports! We use tours by locals for shore excursions. They are fantastic and we see so much more than on ship tours. We had a great day in Istanbul with Aguz and a great day in Kushadasi as well. Check out tours by locals!

We have visited Athens 3 times, Istanbul twice and Kusadai twice.

Beautiful destinations but ... :confused:

EMBASSY OF THE UNITED STATES

ANKARA - TURKEY

Message for U.S. Citizens

Security Message for U.S. Citizens: Credible Threats to Tourist Sites

April 26, 2016

The U.S. Embassy in Ankara informs U.S. citizens that the U.S. Government continues to receive credible indications that terrorist groups are seeking opportunities to attack popular tourist destinations throughout Turkey. The U.S. Embassy reminds U.S. citizens that foreign tourists in Turkey have been explicitly targeted by terrorist organizations, and advises U.S. citizens to be mindful of the potential for danger in crowded public areas and at popular tourist destinations.

I was a bit surprised that the cruise lines were still visiting ports like Istanbul. We did many of these ports last year with P&O. In our cabin we received a sheet of paper with a list of the British Consulate phone numbers for our Greece and Turkey ports. It didn`t really install confidence. We stayed onboard in Istanbul as we had been several times before. Saying that, we have done them many times and never had any bother. :)

Edited by caber

Princess knows the importance of the safety of 2800+ passengers and I believe if they felt it wasn't safe they would change the port. If someone is too afraid to get off the ship there are tons of things to do while everyone is off. I kind of like being on the ship when it's not super busy lol

Great ports on this ship so excited....

Andrea

Princess knows the importance of the safety of 2800+ passengers and I believe if they felt it wasn't safe they would change the port. If someone is too afraid to get off the ship there are tons of things to do while everyone is off. I kind of like being on the ship when it's not super busy lol

Andrea

We have had several ports either skipped or changed due to safety considerations.

We have been to all of these ports! We use tours by locals for shore excursions. They are fantastic and we see so much more than on ship tours. We had a great day in Istanbul with Aguz and a great day in Kushadasi as well. Check out tours by locals!

Thanks! One I research the ports more, I'll see what local tours there are.

I was a bit surprised that the cruise lines were still visiting ports like Istanbul. We did many of these ports last year with P&O. In our cabin we received a sheet of paper with a list of the British Consulate phone numbers for our Greece and Turkey ports. It didn`t really install confidence. We stayed onboard in Istanbul as we had been several times before. Saying that, we have done them many times and never had any bother. :)

It's funny, after seeing the itinerary we were amazed and booked it. It didn't hit me until the next day that ports like Istanbul are listed which have been a hot topic on here with cruise lines canceling it. Oh well. We'll be adaptable and I'm sure if we skip the port, they'll take us to another wonderful port! Or sea day, it's a busy itinerary so an added sea day to catch up on relaxing doesn't sound that bad either. Safely is my biggest concern so I definitely won't be complaining if they cancel a port on us because of that.

Andrea

Thanks! That's what I'm anticipating. If it's not safe, Princess won't dock the ship there. We've never been to the Europe so wherever the ship takes us, it will be a first for us! Can't wait!

We have had several ports either skipped or changed due to safety considerations.

I'm curious, what did they do with shore excursions with the new port? If they canceled a port, did they generally add a new port in its place? Hope that made sense! Lol

Sounds like a fabulous itinerary! We did the 12 night Med cruise on the Regal in 2014 and loved it. I would agree with what so many have said ...do your homework and book private tours. We saved so much money and time doing it that way. Rick Steves book was so very helpful. We loved Rome (wish we could have spent a week there), liked Ephesus, Istanbul and Athens. If you have any questions about the private tours we did I would be happy to share. I am a real planner and spent a lot of time researching the best private tour companies in the ports we visited.

I'm curious, what did they do with shore excursions with the new port? If they canceled a port, did they generally add a new port in its place? Hope that made sense! Lol

All ships tours are fully refunded to your On Board Account. We had not pre-paid for our private tour so there was no problem there. I don't think there is any difference with ports canceled due to sea conditions.

When we originally booked this cruise a year ago the Royal was supposed to go to Tunis, Tunisia. In the fall they dropped this port due to unsafe activity!

Those of you who have not been to Turkey it is worth visiting. The new changes adding Mykonos makes me happy since last time we were there it was only for a few hours... getting close!!!

Andrea

I too am booked on the Royal Princess for a Greek Med from Barcelona to Athens. I booked the Princess shorex excursions for Istanbul and Kusadasi and in case we don't get in because I know I will be refunded (or not charged). I understand that if Princess doesn't feel it is safe we won't get in and even if we do there isn't a guarantee. But honestly I'm more scared of driving down a L.A. freeway getting into an accident than a possible terrorist attack.

if we don't get in they will probably add another sea day or different port and I'm totally fine with that as it is a port intensive tour and I'm so happy to get to see what I am going to see. It's better to be safe than sorry and darn, I'll just have to take another Greek Med cruise another year to see if I can get in.

I too am booked on the Royal Princess for a Greek Med from Barcelona to Athens. I booked the Princess shorex excursions for Istanbul and Kusadasi and in case we don't get in because I know I will be refunded (or not charged). I understand that if Princess doesn't feel it is safe we won't get in and even if we do there isn't a guarantee. But honestly I'm more scared of driving down a L.A. freeway getting into an accident than a possible terrorist attack.

if we don't get in they will probably add another sea day or different port and I'm totally fine with that as it is a port intensive tour and I'm so happy to get to see what I am going to see. It's better to be safe than sorry and darn, I'll just have to take another Greek Med cruise another year to see if I can get in.

You do have a positive attitude!