Star Princess has a outbreak?

HI-C-Dubs

Anything could be possible but I think the ship lacks a way to do lab work to determine whether it's norovirus or food poisoning.

A friend was quarantined & the doctor told him it was unlikely that his symptoms were norovirus but not having a way to diagnose it at sea they rightly chose to err on the side of caution by quarantining passengers. They should also research possible food poisoning causes but don't know if they do it or not.

I'm not aware of any ship equipped to do viral identification. They make a presumptive diagnosis based on symptoms and take control measures to decrease spread.

Food standards on a ship are very strict--much more so than in a typical land restaurant, and certainly more strict than what most of us do at home. Food poisoning is certainly possible although probably more likely from contaminated supplies than from mishandling on the ship.

Bev and I have been on a few cruises and have never had a dose of the dreaded norovirus. She packs a bottle of Purell sanitizer 24/7 and we use it at all restaurants on and off the ship. Try it;), it is must better and easier then spending days in your cabin with a serious of the punies.:rolleyes:

Bev and I have been on a few cruises and have never had a dose of the dreaded norovirus. She packs a bottle of Purell sanitizer 24/7 and we use it at all restaurants on and off the ship. Try it;), it is must better and easier then spending days in your cabin with a serious of the punies.:rolleyes:

I've researched norovirus & you can do the same thing to confirm the results of my research.

Purell is "antibacterial" & it doesn't effectively prevent norovirus because the Purell on most cruises is not "antiviral" & is ineffective for virus protection. Antibacterial lotion gives some people the false sense that it's effective against norovirus & some passengers are less likely to use the best preventative measure which as you said in your title is frequent & thorough hand washing.

There are antiviral lotions & Purell may have one (there are a couple antiviral lotions/wipes) but it's expensive. When I've checked antibacterial lotions are much cheaper than antiviral lotions or wipes. I've only heard about Disney spending more for antiviral wipes which other cruise lines may not do...at least Princess doesn't use antiviral lotion but instead antibacterial which does not kill norovirus.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Based on my research, washing hands is the best preventative measure but norovirus is a virus & an antibacterial lotion (such as that used at dining locations) is for bacteria. Washing hands is essential & some passengers mistakenly think the antibacterial lotion kills the norovirus which is not true. Unfortunately using antibacterial lotion gives some passengers a false sense of security by thinking the lotion prevents the spread of norovirus which is best done by hand washing.

There are a few antiviral lotions available that are quite expensive & the cost may be why cruise lines use less expensive antibacterial lotions which do not kill viruses such as norovirus.

My recent cruise had a Code Red at the beginning of the cruise & I saw a guy rinse his mouth & spit it into the sink! :eek: Such actions & a lack of hand washing are why I only use public bathrooms when absolutely necessary.

I frequently use stairs & either use the stairway railing or have my hand close to the railing...I'd rather risk getting norovirus than being injured by falling

So true... the lotion comment. Many believe that using this lotion does the trick and it doesn't. I may be wrong these days, but I do wonder why the cruise lines don't explain this. Using the lotion before eating may help reduce other transmissions, but does little for the Noro issue. This bugs me even more since I'll wash my hands BEFORE hitting the bufffet and try to refuse lotion use.. but I get some strange looks when I do. I do like the sinks I see on the Royal.. more convenient than the washrooms.

So true... the lotion comment. Many believe that using this lotion does the trick and it doesn't. I may be wrong these days, but I do wonder why the cruise lines don't explain this. Using the lotion before eating may help reduce other transmissions, but does little for the Noro issue. This bugs me even more since I'll wash my hands BEFORE hitting the bufffet and try to refuse lotion use.. but I get some strange looks when I do. I do like the sinks I see on the Royal.. more convenient than the washrooms.

The only reason I can think about is that cruise lines purchase the cheapest "preventative" which is antibacterial & not antiviral for norovirus.

Cruise lines save money while deceiving passengers into believing their lotion helps prevent the spread of norovirus which is not accurate. Disney has antiviral wipes & until passengers question cruise lines about why their "preventative" measure is ineffective then cruise lines will continue to purchase cheaper antibacterial.

I've read that anything (including antibacterials) may remove a slight amount of a virus but doesn't kill it. The fallacy is that too many passengers believe an antibacterial like Purell is an effective treatment & despite posts in this thread saying otherwise some passengers continue to tout antibacterial lotions as a way to prevent the spread of norovirus. :(

I've seen stories of people who feel they've thoroughly cleansed their hands but testing shows there were still germs & that's why keeping our hands away from our eyes, nose & mouth are essential to not getting infected.

Edited by Astro Flyer

the Purell on most cruises is not "antiviral" & is ineffective for virus protection

I didn't know they offered Purell on any cruises:confused: We bring our own. Have you ever had an opportunity:rolleyes: to join the noro crowd onboard? We haven't:D It works for us:p

Edited by Coasty

I didn't know they offered Purell on any cruises:confused: We bring our own. Have you ever had an opportunity:rolleyes: to join the noro crowd onboard? We haven't:D It works for us:p

Thankfully we haven't joined that "club" and our preventative measures have worked for us...so far, so good & that's great that it works for you. ;)

Edited by Astro Flyer

We boarded May 14. Boarding and departure was delayed while the crew finished the deep cleaning. AFAIK, Noro was never mentioned as the reason for the delay. Crew served in the buffet and public restroom doors were propped open through Tuesday. Starting Wednesday it was business as usual.

Anything could be possible but I think the ship lacks a way to do lab work to determine whether it's norovirus or food poisoning.

A friend was quarantined & the doctor told him it was unlikely that his symptoms were norovirus but not having a way to diagnose it at sea they rightly chose to err on the side of caution by quarantining passengers. They should also research possible food poisoning causes but don't know if they do it or not.

The ship collects samples. The samples are submitted to the CDC or a CDC approved lab, the results of that analysis can not only conclude if it is noro, but also the particular strain.

From the CDC web site

OPRP - Clinical and Environmental Laboratory Resources

The following is a list of laboratories that may be used for the analysis of common gastrointestinal illness pathogens in clinical specimens and/or environmental samples. Please note, this list is by no means exhaustive and simply represents a starting point for cruise lines or cruise ships seeking clinical or environmental laboratory services.

U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

U.S. Food and Drug Administration

Bureau of Laboratories - State of Florida

United Kingdom Laboratories

Private Laboratories

CDC labs do not charge for analysis.

The ship collects samples. The samples are submitted to the CDC or a CDC approved lab, the results of that analysis can not only conclude if it is noro, but also the particular strain.

From the CDC web site

OPRP - Clinical and Environmental Laboratory Resources

The following is a list of laboratories that may be used for the analysis of common gastrointestinal illness pathogens in clinical specimens and/or environmental samples. Please note, this list is by no means exhaustive and simply represents a starting point for cruise lines or cruise ships seeking clinical or environmental laboratory services.

U.S. Food and Drug Administration

Bureau of Laboratories - State of Florida

United Kingdom Laboratories

Private Laboratories

CDC labs do not charge for analysis.

Thanks for the info & being tested by the CDC is why our friend was told by the ship's doctor it was highly unlikely that his illness was Norovirus (probably food poisoning) but he was quarantined just in case the doctor was wrong.

Edited by Astro Flyer

With a two day incubation, Noro symptoms that aren't present as pax board will show up on day 2 or 3 of the cruise.

I totally endorse the trend to have everyone 'served' at the buffet for the first couple of days at least.

Of course, some tummy trouble blamed on noro may simply be over-eating rich or unfamiliar foods... those servers at the buffet certainly reduce the amount of food loaded onto plates.

I'm a long-time Carnival pax, and once saw a man take the entire bin of fried chicken strips from the buffet line. He must have had 30 pieces.