Car seats in ports?

cascole

I just booked the Conquest for next summer & will be taking my kids for the first time. The baby will just be 2 years old... what do you do about brinigng a car seat with you into port or on excursions, in taxi's etc... ??? Maybe I need to invest in a smaller/lighter one? Mine weighs a TON & I can't imagine lugging it to the beach all day!

We're using a cosco tote 'n go portable car seat. Although it is not replacement for a standard car seat, it is better than nothing at all. It weighs about 4 pounds. Do a search on the internet and you'll find it, there are also reviews on epinions.com. We bought ours through ebay.

I will be cruising with a 3 yo and a 17 month old in November. Since I travel often with my kids I invested in Sit n' Strolls. It's a Car Seat, Stroller and Booster combo. A little spendy, but worth it. Doesn't take up extra room, give a car seat on the Airplane, Cars and converts to a stroller easily and can be used in the Buffet area as a booster seat, easier than getting the boosters and/or high chairs on the ship itself.

Have a great time.

The real problem is finding taxis that actually have seat belts....it has been my finding that these are few and far between. We bought a tote n go for our first cruise, never were able to use it and returned it once we got home. I don't want to sound negative, but in reality, you really won't have much of an opportunity to use a car seat in any caribbean or mexican port that I have been to.

Are there larger shuttles that we can take? I would at least feel a little safer that way. I was thinking of taking one of our carseats that is smaller just in case. Actually, I remember a few cabs having seatbelts -- maybe we have to hold out for one with seatbelts????

Most of the islands, such as USVI, BVI, Caymans, Bahamas, even mexico require car seats. Most taxi's do have seatbelts, you may have to dig aound for them.

You may have to wait a taxi or two, but your childs safety is important.

Good Luck

• 2 weeks later...

I also purchased a portable carseat for my DH's first cruise in May of 2004 (22 mos at the time) we also never used it although we brought it on board. He is now 3 and we are leaving for our leaving for his second cruise on Nov 12th. Not sure if we are going to bring it again - still deciding. Please note that all of our tours were pre- arranged independent tours with an air conditioned large passenger van. So I felt sort of safe- as safe as can be without a car seat.

Archived