Sea bands

npater

We have had a lot of success with Sea Bands. They are pressure point beads on your inner wrist... They work extremely well for me and all of my family members! We do not get severely seasick - just have issues with bouts of nausea if the seas get too "busy"...! We are females 53, 32, 30, and 22 and DH is 53. We have all been pleased with the results! One DD also uses OTC motion sickness medicine along with the bands. My DH and I also take a natural ginger capsule going to bed each night while on the cruise... This seems to keep any issues with Mal De-embarkation syndrome in check!! (I had a terrible problem with that after our first cruise...)

Hope this answers your question...They are inexpensive at CVS/Walgreens/Walmart, etc... Or you can search the internet for sites that have "fancy/dressy" ones (ie. pretty colored beads, etc.)

We travelled on our 1st Family Cruise on the Getaway on Feb. My DH, DS 8, DD 12 and myself. My daughter and I did not wear our bands, but my DH and 8 yr old had theirs on most of the time. They both get quite motion sick, and the bands made a noticeable difference for both of them. It is also instant without any side-affects. We also had Bodine along for the ride, but never needed it.

Every ship is different, as is every person, but for us they were great!

You can also get them on Amazon.

Have fun!

I can get seasick just thinking about it. I actually feel queasy right now.

I don't trust the bands. I have some though.

I take a Bonine a couple hours before sail away, one the next morning and I have zero issues. I probably don't even need them! [emoji12]

The bands are pretty good. The only downside is after wearing them for hours, it starts to cut off the circulation in your hands and they will swell. So you will have to take them off for a while for relief. They are good for minor sea sickness, anything really major and you will likely need meds. NB, there is a company that makes the bands with beads so the look like jewelry. Good for ladies worried about their outfit getting ruined by a sweatband on their wrist. Also they are good for getting wet in the pool or hot tub as they don't absorb water.

I use the bands as soon as I start feeling ship movement that causes me to walk funny, and I haven't gotten seasick. There is no way to be sure they make a difference in those situations. However, I had a very dramatic situation a few years ago that made me rely on them as my first line of defense.

We were leaving Bermuda on the Majesty. I thought I would take a quick shower. The ship started rocking and I was just fine, but over the next couple of minutes I was not fine. I yelled for DH to grab the bands and meclizine/Bonine and I started manually pressing on the pressure points the bands press on. Within a couple of minutes more I was fine again. I got the bands on and meclizine in me and I stayed fine. But that 5 minute roller coaster of fine, not fine, pressure points and fine again made me think there was something to the sea bands.

I haven't had a problem with my hands swelling, though the pressure points can get sore after a day or two and DH has a problem with the elastic bands irritating his thin skin.

20 cruises and I still get seasick. I used the bands on the Escape in February and I although people were complaining about motion, I didn't feel it, I felt fine the entire week. We also had a mid-ship mini on 12 which was great and I spent most of the sea days outside in Vibe so both of those locations helped with any potential nausea.

I put the bands on as soon as we board. I don't like the way I feel after taking seasick tablets and have had a very bad allergic reaction to the patch, which was worse than being seasick. So I am a fan of the bands but have been blessed with relatively calm seas when I've used them. Hope I don't have to find out how well they work in rough weather.

I agree with those that said the bands hurt after awhile - my hands get numb so I take them off at night and in port. Also had Bonine with me and Queze-Ease, which I read about on the Internet Didn't have to use either but will bring all on The BA in a few weeks.

Hope the bands work for you and you sail in calm seas.

They worked well for me but I also had some bad skin irritation from the band afterwards I did take meclizine with me but didn't need to use it. Debating if I will use them again because of the irritation.

My DD has never complained that they hurt or of numbness. She always took them off before bed and then didn't need them after the first couple of days unless it got a little rough. After she took them off, I'd see her putting pressure on her wrist with her fingers right at the pressure point if she started to feel woozy. She still does that sometimes in the car when we're on a curvy road. She has't had to take the motion sickness meds since she was about six (except when we do a tour on a small boat that has a capacity of about 10 or fewer).