Daily Record Medal

Colin_Cameron

Came across an interesting item today.

Stuck inside a coin counter in a bank I found a disc, larger than any current UK coin, about the size of a half crown if anyone remembers them. It's made from really light metal. The face is badly damaged but it shows two heads in profile. On the reverse, around the top it says "DAILY RECORD MEDAL" and below that the image of a ship, which I immediately recognised, and the number "534". Around the bottom edge it has the date "SEPTEMBER 26th 1934"

There's a couple of clues there for anyone with more than a passing interest in Cunard history.

The heading confused me for a while. Was it a record (memento) of the day? Turns out the medal was a free giveaway from the local newspaper the Daily Record.

The staff had no idea what it was and told me to take it. I fear due to its condition it's value will be zero but I see there are some on eBay for a few pounds.

But looking on the bright side I managed to find out what was wrong with the coin counter:D

Colin

Hi Colin. Nice find. Apparently the Royal Museums Greenwich has one of those medals in their collection:

"Daily Record medalet commemorating RMS 534 ('Queen Mary'). Obverse: Busts conjoined of King George V and Queen Mary (left). Reverse: Port-bow view of the liner, figure 534. Legend: 'DAILY RECORD MEDAL. SEPTEMBER 26TH 1934.' The 'Queen Mary' was launched in 1934 having been built by John Brown & Company, Clydebank. 534 was her yard number. The 'Daily Record' is a Glasgow published newspaper." - copied from http://collections.rmg.co.uk/collections/objects/38978.html

Cheers,

Salacia