Have any of you been on a hoho bus tour in Istanbul and/or Athens. One member of our group is about 4 months into recovering from a broken leg and may not want to walk long distances in the hot heat. I was wondering if you have any advice on this or some other way to see the city with not a lot of extensive walking. I am also wondering if a hoho bus is the best way to see the city.

Thanks

Done in Athens , there are two companies in the car park next to terminal and will both try to get your business.

We did the city sight seeing red bus and thought it was very good quite a long trip. We stopped off at several places with a coffee and lunch stop which took up most of the day so didn't get time to go into the Acropolis. If there is a group of you, there are taxis in the port so you may be able to agree a price for a trip for only a little more than the bus.

Istanbul we had a private tour in a mini bus from the dick side so hardly any walking

HoHos in Athens (two operators) have the advantage that they both offer two routes, one from the port to the city and the other a city route. So the cost (IIRC about 20/22 euros) includes getting you to/from the city.

But there are other options between port & city, including now the X80 express bus at about 4 euros.

The city route is pretty limited, but I guess OK for the money.

Traffic around the Acropolis entrance gets seriously clogged - if the driver lets you off in the logjam you'll be quicker to walk the last bit.

Haven't done the Istanbul HoHo - and I doubt its value for a one-day port-of-call visit. They will get clogged in traffic & the major sights are within easy walking distance of each-other.

I'd recommend taking the tram from the port to Sultanahmet (the tram has its own dedicated centre of the road & zips past the traffic jams) & then work your way downhill on foot via your chosen sights to the Spice Bazaar (Egyptian Bazaar) & Galata Bridge, & tram from there back to your ship.

JB :)

Edited by John Bull