Does Celebrity advertise much?

Schplinky

A lot has been said about the types of passengers that cruise lines want, of course Celebrity most of all on this board. Then it struck me that I don't see a lot of advertising for Celebrity. I'm sure there must be ads out there but I cannot recall any. Of course, one sees the RCCL and Carnival ads non-stop on the American channels (which we get here, also). Princess and HAL seem to focus on print ads, which one sees in travel magazines and architectural digest. I can't recall spcifically a Celebrity ad that I've seen, which of course doesn't mean they're not out there.

I have only seen Carnival and RCCL commercials. My boyfriend HATES it because whenever the commercial for Freedom of the Seas comes on, I instead of fast forwarding through it I 'dance' in my seat and become very excited. I can't wait to book something on there in '07.

Celebrity has a commercial that runs occasionally on the travel channel. It's short, maybe 15 to 30 seconds and very tasteful. You really don't know what ship it is until the end when they mention Celebrity and you see the X on the top of the ship.

I find the cruise advertising to be interesting. Carnival's Beyond the Sea ads make it seem like it's elegant dancing and nightclubs all the way. Holland America's print ads are really lovely and give one the impression of non-stop butler service. In fact, there really ins't a lot of distinction between the lines, at least as far as the ads are concerned, except that perhaps RCL and CCL feature more family fun in their ads.

There's a commercial running now for Celebrity - it's different people saying things like "my butler knows how I like my tea" and then the tag line i think is "Celebrity - a true departure".

That's pretty cool! We're in an ocean view so I don't have a butler but my partner knows how I like my coffee (with Baileys) so I'm set.

Hi Everyone !

I believe that Celebrity has cut down on their TV ads of late. It seems to me they advertised on TV more frequently, a year or 2 ago.

Frankly, I have never cared for their ads much, as they are very unusual. They do little to show the wonderful onboard experiences that a fantastic line like Celebrity has to offer. When you look at some of the competitors ads, they show you what a Cruise Experience is like. Perhaps this is why they are not advertising much.

I do hope they come up with a new ad campaign in the near future.

I like the part where the man in his office thinks of his cruise and then says "I think of this (meaning work :D ) as a temporary exile." Gosh don't I agree with that!

I used to see these commericals much more often than I do now. I happened to catch one on tape during the "Drydock" program they were running on the Travel Channel recently.

I see the RCL commercials more often ... the one with the music "Lust for Life"

Celebrity has had a prime time TV ad campaign airing in the Los Angeles market for some six or eight weeks. We are still seeing the ad that Joelmarj mentioned. It centers on the comments of an apparently senior executive type and his wife that have recently returned from a Celebrity cruise in a suite or CC cabin (as he mentions his butler). He mentions that he is awakened early for his constitutional and his butler knew just how he likes his tea. She enjoys the fresh flowers and being awakened late for her breakfast, and both like being treated like royalty. Excellent ad with just the right promise of royal treatment by Celebrity. I suspect the ads are positioned for the major markets.

petert

I have seen the older couple ads as well as one that ends with a gentleman in a deli with a take a number ticket in his hand. Couldn't tell you the premise of that. I am a BRAVO TV fan and see those adverts all the time in primetime on BRAVO. Though not as frequently as I used to see them.

I think they are terrible adverts personally and you don't even know that it is for a cruise until 2 seconds at the end.

The Carnival with the gold paper wrapped ships with the distinctive funnel that run all the time right now are fantastic.

Petert I think your right. I'm in NY and I see the commercial pretty regularly. I love when the executive says "I think of this as my temporary exile" :D I think - THATS ME!!

I do think though that the new RCCL and Carnival (newest Holiday one) are very distinct with their music. I just have to hear it an I know which cruiseline it's for. I don't think I ever see anything on TV for HAL or Princess, at least none come to mind. Princess and Celebrity do lots of print ads in NY though. I think all three (RCCL, Carnival and X) though drive the message to their target market.

I agree with you about the "temporary exile' line.

If you love cruising, it says it all...... have a picture of the Galaxy as my computer wallpaper--reminds me why work during my temporary exile.

Haven't seen a HAL or Princess TV ad in years.

I agree with you about the "temporary exile' line.

If you love cruising, it says it all...... have a picture of the Galaxy as my computer wallpaper--reminds me why work during my temporary exile.

Haven't seen a HAL or Princess TV ad in years.

There is another commercial for X that I have seen on the Travel Channel. In it the guy is talking about how well he was treated on the cruise and then he says, "I'm having trouble reacclimating to this world". I LOVE IT!!!:D

That is SO me. I have trouble with that whole work, cook, clean, etc after a week of being treated like a queen.

I also love the other comercial where the guy talks about the temp excile, I just like the other one better. I guess I love everything Celebrity, even the commercials.......I got it bad ;)

About two years ago there was a travel channel program, featuring a female celebrity that was taking the Millennium Mediteranian cruise. After viewing the program my wife decided that was what she wanted to experience, and I was able to make lots of points by booking that same cruise for later in the season. I think that overall the cruise industry has been very effective with their investment in TV advertising. Print advertising just doesn't grab you the same way that the TV ads do.

Petert

A reality show or documentary I would watch would be one were they show what the different people who work on the ship do in an average day. I think people love seeing what's going on behind the scenes but sadly, the filming would likely be too disruptive for some passengers. We really loved the show "Drydock" and certainly the web-site for the Freedom of the Seas is what got us to book there. I think lines need to find new ways of showing passengers that cruising might be for them. Certainly, with thousands of more berths come online each year, even the increasing cruise market will be met at some point.

RCI adds are "Get Out there" to "Here come's Johnny Reb (Red?)" "Way more than a cruise!!!"

I know, that song is 'catchy', so I had to look it up, here ya go:

In reality, that is a song by Iggy Pop called 'Lust for Life', which, oddly enough, basically talks about drugs and booze (how they picked that one is strange, eh?).

The lyric line is: "Here comes Johnny Yen again!"...

RCCL has the best commercial for their product. It grabs the viewers attention and it is upbeat. It sells RCCL's product very well. that is probably why they won some awards for their commercials.

I think Celebrity's commercial is OK. It would be better if they showed more of the ship then just the funnel.

I don't like the Carnival commercials. They aren't very good at grabbing your attention. It doesn't specifically sell Carnival, it sells any cruise. I must say though, that the newer ones are better then the old ones with the old people talking about their cruise.

I liked HAL's commercial when I used to see them. I liked the song "Edge of the Ocean." It made me reminisce of all of the nice times a I had on a ship.

My biggest problem with RCL's advertising is the implication of an all-inclusive vacation. A viewer can be led to believe just from watching the commercial alone that helicopter tours, kayaking, dog sledding are all included in the purchase of the cruise. While many CC members know that not to be the case, it does explain why such sticker shock when the final bill comes and the posts about being nickel and dimed to death.

RCI adds are "Get Out there" to "Here come's Johnny Reb (Red?)" "Way more than a cruise!!!"

Celebrity is obviously trying to market a more subdued experience, in emphasizing luxury and service over adventure.

NO FLAMES PLEASE, Every body likes different things.

Both RCI and Celebrity's ads are extremely effective. They target completely different markets with successful results....

I see the Celebrity ad, and my mind's eye is THERE, back in my cruising experience...and ready for the next one.

Karyn

The Carnival with the gold paper wrapped ships with the distinctive funnel that run all the time right now are fantastic.

Those commercials are wonderful. It makes me want one of those ships under my tree no matter what line they might be.

And the little girl's face gazing in wonderment at the ship in the store window is fabulous.

I think Carnival should get down on their knees and thank whatever ad agency came up with them.

It puts them in a whole other category. Something I really do believe they are striving for.

celtic

Archived