Musk Ox Farm

biojeep

2 different highways!

You'll be driving the George Parks Hwy when you travel from Anchorage to Denali. The Parks Hwy runs north/south direction .

The Musk Ox farm is off the Glenn Hwy which runs east/west. The cut off to the Glenn Hwy is just north of Anchorage.

Use the attached map to get your bearings. Look for Palmer; the farm is about another 5 miles east of there.

Going to the farm would be a detour of about 15-20 minutes each way.

http://www.themilepost.com/pdfs/highways/glennhwy_map_2.pdf

2 different highways!

You'll be driving the George Parks Hwy when you travel from Anchorage to Denali. The Parks Hwy runs north/south direction .

The Musk Ox farm is off the Glenn Hwy which runs east/west. The cut off to the Glenn Hwy is just north of Anchorage.

Clarification: It's the Glenn Highway leaving Anchorage. The Parks Highway begins at the junction a few miles south of Wasilla. So you'd take the Glenn Highway north from Anchorage, through Palmer to the Musk Ox farm a couple of miles north of Palmer. To continue onto Denali, come back south to Palmer and turn west on the Palmer/Wasilla Highway. This will join the Parks Highway in Wasilla.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

How long should we plan on spending at the farm?? Website says the "tour" is 45 minutes but is there anything to do outside of that guided tour?? And do you know if they sell the qiviut merchandise on property? If not, any great suggestions of where to buy?? I have my heart set on a hat -- and for what I think I'm gonna end up spending (couple hundred maybe???), I want to have several to choose from.

We stopped at the Musk Ox Farm two weeks ago on our way back to Anchorage form Denali. It is well done and quite informative.

There is a small museum/gift shop to look at while you wait for tour (5-15 minutes worth). The tour itself is about 45 minutes long and starts on the hour.

How long should we plan on spending at the farm?? Website says the "tour" is 45 minutes but is there anything to do outside of that guided tour?? And do you know if they sell the qiviut merchandise on property?

There's not really anything to do beyond the tour - there's an interpretive area to go through while you wait for a tour to begin. They do sell qiviut products there as well as in their Oomingmak shop in downtown Anchorage. My wife still loves the nachaq I bought her there 20-odd years ago.