New w/Carnival - some questions, 5 day Elation

cj'smom

We have sailed several other cruise lines but this will be our first time trying Carnival. We are on a 5 day sailing on the Elation.

Few questions:

For "Elegant" night - what do people tend to wear? We like to go all out with tuxes and formals - would we be out of place? Should we just plan on suit/cocktail dresses?

Are there other "theme" nights (like NCL's White Hot Party)that we might want to pack for?

Any "must try" food in the MDR or anything to avoid? Any other tips / secrets about sailing Carnival or the Elation in particular.

Thanks!

Just got back from a 5 day on the Elation out of Jax..... Formal nights is really laid back on Carnival compared to other lines but you will have others in tuxs and formal gowns. I have on the past three cruise but this one I simply did a pair of slacks and nice button up shirt. They did have a white party one night saw it in the fun times but didn't know about it before hand so I did not attend..

The elation was nice I was impressed as I expected it to be a little outdated but other than some color schemes and the fact I had a old school tv not flat screen which some rooms due just luck of the draw.....as for the food to try. I suggest always try something new if you don't like it order something else but the Warm Chocolate Melting Cake is the best dessert or the Grand Manier Souffle is amazing as well......On sea days which you should have two??? Go to the Sea Day Brunch its awesome other than that always remember the vacation is what you make it!!

If you are comfortable in your tux and formal attire, wear it! You will be shinning bright. I have seen military class A's to tux and long beautiful formals. Most people will be dressed down in slacks with a evening jacket to cocktail dresses. You will not stand out in a negative way with your formal attire but in a positive way.

There will be a electric white night (believe that is what its called) held in one of the lounges. You get $1.00 off drinks if you participate. They will have a Mexican fiesta on the lido one night where they have salsa music and a Mexican buffet. Its pretty fun to join in.

Food is not bad but not extraordinary either. Definitely try the desserts mentioned above if you like sweets.

The ship is not a new one so be prepared for some worn looking areas. The staff does an excellent job at keeping her clean. I hope you have a great time on her. I have sailed on her three times and loved every time.

• 2 months later...

You did not say when you were sailing... but I will post anyway...

My main advice is to keep an open mind... I am aware that Carnival is considered "less than adequate" by many (especially those with unlimited budgets), And you are starting out on one of their oldest ships..

BUT... I have had the luxury of a Disney cruise and have sailed on a "big, new Carnival ship... I chose the Elation for our next (B2B) cruise because I like the Fantasy class of ships. They are big enough to have what we want, and small enough to get around easily, with an intimate feel lacking on the bigger sisters.

It is easy to "look down your nose" at the Carnivals, especially the veterans of the fleet, But I look at it like this... If you won 3 million in the lottery the week after someone won 30 million... would you be upset ???

I have had a GREAT time on ALL of my Carnival cruises, and I do not waste any of my valuable time on board looking for things that do not measure up to the luxury cruise...

If you do not like a dish that is served.. don't cuss the chef.. try something else.. it is FREE.... Is your happiness dependent on the decor around you??? It looks a heck of a lot better than your office...

GO... Relax... Have Fun... and enjoy. That is what it is all about. I am sure that you will have as good of a time as you make your mind up to have.

I hope that you enjoy your sea time!!! "Fair winds and following seas"

• 1 month later...
You did not say when you were sailing... but I will post anyway...

My main advice is to keep an open mind... I am aware that Carnival is considered "less than adequate" by many (especially those with unlimited budgets), And you are starting out on one of their oldest ships..

BUT... I have had the luxury of a Disney cruise and have sailed on a "big, new Carnival ship... I chose the Elation for our next (B2B) cruise because I like the Fantasy class of ships. They are big enough to have what we want, and small enough to get around easily, with an intimate feel lacking on the bigger sisters.

It is easy to "look down your nose" at the Carnivals, especially the veterans of the fleet, But I look at it like this... If you won 3 million in the lottery the week after someone won 30 million... would you be upset ???

I have had a GREAT time on ALL of my Carnival cruises, and I do not waste any of my valuable time on board looking for things that do not measure up to the luxury cruise...

If you do not like a dish that is served.. don't cuss the chef.. try something else.. it is FREE.... Is your happiness dependent on the decor around you??? It looks a heck of a lot better than your office...

GO... Relax... Have Fun... and enjoy. That is what it is all about. I am sure that you will have as good of a time as you make your mind up to have.

I hope that you enjoy your sea time!!! "Fair winds and following seas"

Great advice for a first timer, thanks!