Any input.. Msc Divina or Holland America Oosterdam with kids

Lauderdale257

We are planning our Christmas cruise.. We are between holland America oosterdam and msc Divina. We have a 6,9 and 11 year olds. I know HA doesn't have water slides, which is why I'm pushing for MSC, but my concern on both is that they'll be bored. Msc only has 2 sea days and HA has 3. Same price, same length.. Just looking for anyone's insight that has maybe sailed one or both with kiddos?

I've cruised on Holland America. In the summer and on holidays there will be children onboard and parents, which changes the vibe of the cruise. So it will be a bit more fun than an off season cruise on Holland. However, the ships are small, with very few activities. The ships are quiet for the most part with entertainment at night (Comedians, Pianists, Production shows, and maybe a magician) In the lounges there will be a guitarist, a violinist and a pianist. All the lounges will be very quiet with people listening to the music. I think you'll have a nice family vacation on Holland if the kids use Club Hal, but otherwise- yes they will be bored. The pool is small. I'd only do Holland if the itinerary was something you can't find on another, more family friendly line.

The other thing I didn't like about Holland is the limited selection of food in the buffet (very disappointing) and the limited hours of the restaurants onboard. If you don't eat breakfast by 9:30 in the MDR or 10 a.m in the lido buffet- there is nothing until 11:30 (dive-in hamburger and taco bar) and again lunch is only served from 12 noon until 2PM (except dive-in) and dinner is only served from 6 until 8PM in the lido

The specialty restaurants are good, but you shouldn't have to pay for a good meal. The main dining room food is just ok IMO.

MSC, I've not sailed, so can't comment.

Edited by rebeccalouiseagain

Haven't been on HAL, but we are fond of MSC. The activities are great and the staff is usually wonderful. That said, during a busy week they pretty much blow off the schedule and do few activities (unless you count watching a movie as an activity.) That would likely be the case over Christmas.

Note that our kids are 6, so have always been in with the youngest group. We have no experience with the older groups, but our kids were quite happy when the groups were combined and they got to go on the 'lego side'.

Note that the water slide on Divina is nothing to write home about. A basic 2-loop slide with a chute at the end (no pool.) During this last cruise (April 2016) it was open reasonably often, buy on prior cruises it did not seem to be open much at all. I think Divina has some major upgrades coming, but I'm not sure when. All that to say: don't put too much value into the water slide. ;)

I am surprised that the pricing is about the same. The biggest reason we've gone back to MSC 4 times is the value proposition. We consider it to be about equal to Carnival (some things worse, some things better) but with the KSF the pricing is usually substantially lower.

I am surprised that the pricing is about the same. The biggest reason we've gone back to MSC 4 times is the value proposition. We consider it to be about equal to Carnival (some things worse, some things better) but with the KSF the pricing is usually substantially lower.

HAL is having an amazing sale right now where the 3 and 4 guest sail free. So we'll do 2 connecting balcony rooms no matter what way we go. I've never been on msc, we've cruised Hal ( but without kids) and we've cruised carnival with kids.. While carnival is good for families, it is a party ship(which I don't like) and I didn't care for the itineraries around the time they're out for winter break