Anyone else a Su Doku junkie like me??

megessey

Its an old asian numbers puzzle, kinda like crossword puzzles but with numbers in a grid-- I don't explain well, but you can find info all over the internet. I got hooked on these 3 months ago and I still can't go a day without doing at least one puzzle.

Only reason I bring this up here is, I would highly recommend a su doku book for a cruise or at least for the plane ride there. Especially wonderful for long boring lines like preboarding-- time flies amazingly well. Be warned though its highly addictive!

My dear old mother (92) in Scotland introduced us to Su DoKu in July. Nothing wrong with her faculties. You are right, it is addictive. For travellers it's a great way to kill time in airports or on a long-haul flight. Don't leave home without it. I am now on to 'fiendish' in The Times book.

• 2 weeks later...

I rediscovered puzzle magazines last fall (can do them while waiting for girl to get out of school). So I have been buying the Dell and Pennypuzzles at Walmart and Target at a rate of two or three a month. They usually have a number puzzle where you place 1-9 in the boxes. Sometimes Dell would have a 16 x 16 grid called a Number Challenger. So I was surprised to hear on the news that it's now a major fad. Go figure.

I rediscovered puzzle magazines last fall (can do them while waiting for girl to get out of school). So I have been buying the Dell and Pennypuzzles at Walmart and Target at a rate of two or three a month. They usually have a number puzzle where you place 1-9 in the boxes. Sometimes Dell would have a 16 x 16 grid called a Number Challenger. So I was surprised to hear on the news that it's now a major fad. Go figure.

It's almost like it happened overnight.... one day no one heard of them, the next day Barnes & Noble has an entire table filled with books of them! I keep hoping I'll get tired of them--i hate the way I lose track of time when I have life stuff to take care of!

OMG - my boss is gonna kill me. You guys got me addicted to this stupid game, now my sister, daughter, husband, in-laws and lots of co-workers are also addicted.

I'm going to have to find a book for the cruise, flight, ferry waits, etc.

Thanks .... I think LOL

I got hooked a couple of days ago after reading this thread.... I love them!! I've been doing them on the website that was mentioned above, and printing them out to take with me. I think that getting a book of them would be much cheaper than the cost of replacing my printer cartridge to take enough with me for the cruise! My DH, who normally isn't into puzzles, loves them too.

my mother bought me a sudoku book and told me that it would ruin my life-and I am now throughly addicted to them! I do them all the time-whenever i have a chance-they are great!

now there are books all over the bookstores! I now have my 9 year old working on them too-good exercise for the brain!

This is going to sound lame, but when I was in Japan four years ago, my friend gave me a Sudoku book to do on the plane ride home. There was about seven puzzles left and she showed me how to do one. I was hooked after I completed one of them.

I didn't know if and when I would ever get my hands on a new book, so I pencilled in the answers really lightly, thinking if I never found one again, I could later erase them and do them again. I actually saved the puzzles for special occasions... *turning red*

Fast forward three and a half years later, I was on a plane to Toronto and the flight magazine in the seat pocket had a Sudoku puzzle next to the crossword puzzle. I was flying solo and I started squealing like a pig..The person seated beside me gave me an odd look. I was like, "it's SUDOKU, IT'S SUDOKU!!"

There was a little article about how it was sweeping the UK. When I returned home, I stopped by a Seven Eleven and it was like fate. A giant Sudoku magazine with a bright green cover..only 16.99..

Hehe, needless to say, I love Sudoku. It keeps me up at nights and drives my husband nuts. (he can't even complete an easy one..)

• 3 weeks later...

I had never heard of this Sudoku till I read this thread. Now I am obsessing. Came down with a terrible cold this week. Couldn't sleep for two nights. When I wasn't blowing my nose, I was blowing my mind with...Sudoku!! Thanks.

You are sooooo right! It is highly addictive, and one also becomes a missionary converting others to it. I haven't found anyone yet that I introduced it to who didn't become addicted just as I have.

My favorite website is http://www.websudoku.com

It has puzzles that you can work on-line, and you can also print as many as you like at various levels of difficulty. I can't start my day until I've had my coffee and completed my sudoku puzzle of the morning.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes is a lot of fun. Just so you know though...it is not an ancient Japanese game. Was invented by an American. It was first published in 1979 in NY but became popular in Japan in the 80s and was perfected.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudoku

Scroll to the bottom for history. Sudoku is also a trademark name. Kinda like calling all tissues "kleenex".

Enjoy! :o

You are sooooo right! It is highly addictive, and one also becomes a missionary converting others to it. I haven't found anyone yet that I introduced it to who didn't become addicted just as I have.

My favorite website is www.websudoku.com

It has puzzles that you can work on-line, and you can also print as many as you like at various levels of difficulty. I can't start my day until I've had my coffee and completed my sudoku puzzle of the morning.

the nice thing about this site is that it tracks how fast you solve the puzzles. At work I usually stick to the easy ones since they are the EASIEST to solve without paper. I try to solve them fast. The easy puzzle average is 7:02 and the fastest I have done one is 4:14. I am trying to break the 4 minute mark.

After you solve the puzzle, click on "How is my time" to see how well you rate.

My friend was visiting us in the "frozen tundra" from North Carolina and brought a Sudoku book with her - then we "googled" sudoku for the site where you can download individual games from easy to extremely difficult. Okay, Okay, I now admit it - I'm HOOKED!!!!!:rolleyes: When my friend left after Christmas, I went out and bought 3 different books so that I could keep one in the car, one at home and one at work ... I'm hopeless, right???

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

My husband I just discovered them a couple of weeks ago. We are both hooked. Sadly, I'm still on the very easy and he is up to moderate. We don't have a pencil in the house that has a good eraser!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A guy at work started a bunch of us on SuDoKu- and then he stopped doing them, and left us addicted!! Doesn't seem fair, does it?

I love them. I have a brand new book just waiting to go in the carry-on for my April 2 cruise.

Archived