Golden Ending 5/9/04

cruiserw/kids

Ok you have been off the ship for about an hour, how come no one has posted a review of the first Golden Southern Sailing of the year?

What kind of sprucing up did they do in Dry Dock the weeke before you sailed. All of us future Southern Goldend Cruisers are waiting to hear from you. Hurry up and get the laundry done and post those reviews!

HOPE YOU ALL HAD A WONDERFUL TIME! ;-)

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2004;7;4;23;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Westfield Friends - July 4th Golden Princess

Sorry for the mis-spellings in the previous post. Was in a hurry so DW wouldn't catch me wasting time on these boards today. It is mothers day with a big "honey-do" list waiting for me on the table. Hope to start seeing those Golden reviews on Monday! :-)

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2004;7;4;23;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

This week we can hear about the ship. I think we have to wait until next week to hear about the ports of call that we will visit on the July 4th Cruise. It won't come fast enough!

Noticed when booking shore excursions that Bubble Observation (BOB) was not listed. Princess told me it must be filled so I e-mailed BOB and they told me they had one at 1pm but had to book through Princess. Called P back and they booked it. Not sure why it was not listed.

Becky

Me too...me too...I want to hear about all the juicy details.

We are doing the Southern explorer itinerary in less than a month and wnated to know about any exciting tours, food, not to miss entertainment, new updates, etc.

Thanks for your detailed responses, they help us get our cruise "fix" until we sail.

Nancy

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;06;06;23;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

June 6-Golden

WOW! More than 32 hours sense you docked and not one of you has shared a bit of information. You can't keep it all to yourself, we will find out about it sooner or later. Us future Golden Cruisers would appreciate getting it sooner. Back to the grind stone and your cruise is already a distant memory?

My husband and I sailed on the Golden Princess the week of 5/2. There are all new carpets, new mattresses, paint and we were told many mechanical services done.

The Desert Rose is still called the Desert Rose, but it has the steakhouse menu now--$15 per person. Sabatini's is $20 pp.

The small wasindg pool for the children (forward starboard) was not in service. Not too sure why as I didn't have any kids aboard to really care. (Sorry)

Everything seemed in good working order. The staff seemed somewhat confused--not too sure about some questions, service in the dining room a little slow. Unable to tell if it was due to the individual, the crew change, or just have had better service on previous cruises. Service wasn't bad--just wasn't outstanding. Past cruises I have been on, if you always request the same beverage, it is always brought to you without request or is on the table. Had to ask for four beach towels every day--rather than after asking for them once having them every day. Maybe I had too high of expectations. My husband, a first-time cruise (this was my 11th, first Princess) was very impressed with everything--food, service, ships, accommodations!

We were in a mini-suite D424, it was wonderful having the large cabin and I especially enjoyed the bathtub. I have had bathrooms where you could sit on the toilet, brush your teeth, and take a shower all at the same time! The balcony on the mini-suite is completely open--C deck looks half and half and B and A completely covered. I liked being able to sit out in the sun in the late afternoon don't think that was possible in B and A balconies.

If there are any questions about the ship or what excursions, I will be happy to answer them.

Pat F.

Hello! Just back from the 5/2/04 Golden Princess. Have never posted before, but thought I'd give it a try since you seemed just a little anxious. icon_wink.gif First, my disclaimer...this is only my second cruise and it was my husband's first. We had a great time and can't wait to go again. Golden is a beautiful ship, very clean with a friendly/attentive staff. I hope nothing I say sounds negative, but positive and helpful...because it was a wonderful experience. The islands are beautiful, no tendering on any, pulled right into port with a good amount of time at all ports and fantastic sunsets at sailaway. We stayed one night in San Juan before the cruise. Don't miss Old San Juan. We chose not to do many excursions, but ventured on our own most of the time. Took a taxi to a beautiful beach in Barbados after seeing the town a bit. St. Lucia was our favorite island. We took a tour purchased at the Tourism Center as we left the ship. The tour was of the East Coast, included a trip to a waterfall, to see the Pitons, a beautiful plantation with gorgeous flowers, and the sulpher springs. Be prepared if you take this tour for driving on windy roads with gorgeous views. We went horseback riding on the beach in Antigua. Took a taxi to the beach and paid $40.00 total for an hour of riding. Did lots of shopping in St. Maarten (our second favorite island) and enjoyed walking around the town. Went diving (my first time) in St. Thomas. Sorry I didn't do it sooner.

About the ship...Personal Choice was the way for us to go. I was surprised how easy it was to get a table. 2600 people on the ship and I rarely felt crowded. Food was good. Although we didn't travel with children, it appeared there was much to do. We too missed pool towels a couple of days, but learned you can grab a couple from the bags in the hallway. Stateroom was A625. No noise at all and convenient to the Horizon Court and Terrace Pool. I liked Aloha deck because you were completely sheltered from occasional rain showers. Caribbean night was fun! "Princess Idol" was fun. Ship had good/enjoyable entertainment. Crowd and atmosphere was more "subdued" than my previous cruise (this can be a good thing, depending on your personal preference). Had a late flight on 5/9 with some down time in San Juan. We learned you can take a taxi to the Barrachina restaurant (home of the first Pina Colada) in Old San Juan, where they will store them while you see the sights and shop in Old San Juan. It was only $5.00 to store them and they were very safe. Several people chose to do this.

May write more later, but I have numerous pictures and sourvenir to sort!

Surfnsun, thanks so much for all the great info! I would like to know the name of the beach in Barbados you went to and also the name of the beach where you went horseback riding! I'm on the 6/27 sailing w/ my sister. We aren't planning to do many excusions either and it sounds like you found some great ways to enjoy the Islands!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=8b0000&cdt=2004;6;27;23;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Conquest 4/03

Victory 12/03

Golden Princess 4/04 Golden Princess 6/04

Glad you liked the post!

wolfsnare - name of the beach at Barbados is Dover Beach. $10.00 one way taxi ride from Bridgetown. We passed alot of beaches on the way, but chose this one because it also had the shopping on the quaint street adjacent to the beach and didn't have too many people. Name of the beach in Antigua was Miller's by the Sea. Horses are right there shading under the trees where the taxi drops you off...$10.00 one way from the port. We negotiated the local horseback riding guide from $50.00 for the two of us to $40.00.

I recommend saving your "heavy" shopping for St. Maarten...or at least early in the cruise. St. Thomas seemed more pricey and San Juan is definitely more pricey. For beaches, I heard alot of people saying good things about Orient Beach...I think it's on St. Maarten. I also recommend taking the time to read the literature about the islands that Princess provides in the staterooms on each day. We took the individual flyer for that particular island with us on each day so we had a map and information on transportation.

P.S. In my previous post I was referring to the luggage when I said "store them" at Barrachina restaurant. I bet some of you thought I meant the Pina Colada's, although we did store a couple of those too icon_biggrin.gif

Dumb question - what movies were featured in the cabins or movie theatres? If possible want to avoid seeing one that I can see on the cruise (5/23). How often do they change what is shown? Thanks.

Golden 2004

Wind 2002

Grandeur 1999

Thanks again for the info!!! We don't leave San Juan until 3 or 3:30 and I was wondering what we could do before our flight...especially with the luggage! Now I know! Lisa

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=8b0000&cdt=2004;6;27;23;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Conquest 4/03

Victory 12/03

Golden Princess 4/04 Golden Princess 6/04

A couple of other food questions. Which nights were formal nights? Is there still 'French" night & if so, which night was that? Glad you had a great time. We have awhile to wait so I just have to be content with reading & dreaming. Thanks for adding to my dream!

Travelingal - I saved all my "Princess Patter's", except I can't find Monday 5/3...so I can give you info for all other nights. Lots of movies on TV and in lounges, here are some:

Sunday - Something's Gotta Give (Vista Lounge)

Tuesday - Love Actually and Big Fish (in Princess Theatre) Rodney Johnson (comedian) in Vista is very good

Wednesday - SeaBiscuit (Princess Theater)

Thursday - Mona Lisa Smith (Vista and Princess theater)

Friday - Something's Gotta Give (Vista)

Saturday - The Last Samurai (Princess and Vista)

wolfsnare - cruise director was Graham Seymour and he was a riot! Watch channel 30 in the morning for his "review" and he features the Caribbean night at the Terrace pool on Thursday evening. Get there early for a good seat. Hula hoop contest is really funny and so is Graham.

lgt - formal nights are Monday and Thursday. I don't recall a "French" night and I don't see it in the Princess Patter...but I could be missing it. One thing we learned about formal nights and the pictures...the first formal night we only did one sitting with one background. Then Duhh!! we thought it didn't cost anything to get the picture, so we did four different sittings on the last night, therefore, having more options to choose from...I suppose this also increases the chances you'll buy the picture(s) icon_rolleyes.gif The wait is really not that long and there are about 6 - 7 different areas on decks 6 and 7 with different backgrounds. Our personal favorite was the black and white. 8 x 10 is $19.95.

Glad I could add to your dream and I hope you all enjoy it as much as we did. I remember reading some of the posts before we left and I know how the "anticipation" feels and how it's great to get information.

Thank you surfnsun! You certainly are adding to our dreams! Would you believe I still have almost two weeks to go, and I'm already getting post cruise depression cause it's almost over? My hubby thinks I'm nuts! and sometimes I have to agree with him.

Golden 2004

Wind 2002

Grandeur 1999

Archived