Golden Ending 5/9/04

cruiserw/kids

sameekee:
Thanks, that was a great review. Didn't sound as though you really enjoyed St. Kitts or Greneda. WOuld you recommend staying on the boat rather then getting off at any of the islands on this itinerary?

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2004;7;4;22;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
Westfield Friends - July 4th Golden Princess

We were on that same cruise and it was our first. I wanted to get off everywhere, no matter what, as I had never been any of those places. We did the Nevis Sailway in St Kitts and it was fantastic! Did not get to see much of the island though. Some said we didn't miss much, but others said they really enjoyed the train ride. I would get off next time too.

We really liked Grenada. Found the people to be so friendly, if a little pushy spice-wise! We did Grenada Explorer and appreciated getting the long tour of the island. Weather was good that day and would have also liked a water excursion but was happy to explore a little bit. The town is very close to the pier here so you could just get off and do some walking, if nothing else.

We did not go into town on Isla Margarita. For those who did - some said they enjoyed it, others said the poverty really got to them. We explored the straw market/beach and had a great time. They had bands and dancers and bars set up for us and I found the authentic, hand crafted souvenirs I had been looking for since St Thomas. Very inexpensive and beautiful.

I guess it depends on how experienced a cruiser you are. As a relative newbie, I look forward to seeing all these new places and wouldn't miss it for the world, good or bad.

Have fun!

Mary

[B]<FONT SIZE="4"><FONT COLOR="#000000">Bill & Mary</FONT></FONT>[/B]
[B]<FONT SIZE="3"><FONT COLOR="#FF0000">Golden Princess: May 9, 2004</FONT></FONT>[/B]

[B]<FONT SIZE="3"><span style="border:blue double 5px;"><span style="background-color:#000066;"><FONT COLOR="#33CCFF">~~~ Bummed Out!!! It's Over [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] ~~~</span></span></FONT></FONT>[/B]</p>

I am so glad we didn't have any problems with our excursions. I had heard from some people onboard that there were serious problems going on.

We took at tour of the island in St. Thomas and like the tour. Our conveyance was non air conditioned.

Our tour in Grenada was excellent. I loved that island and the people were so friendly. I wish I had gotten to see a beach up close. This may be an island I would do a land vacation to.

St. Kitts was not as breathtaking, but seems to be a very afluent island. The topography is very interesting, the island is volcanic in origin. We visited the Southern Peninsula, which is very barren. Our guide told us that this part of the island has only been reachable by a land bridge in the last 20 years. Before that, it was like a separate island.

I was not impressed with Isla Margarita, despite raves in Islands magazine. The island itself is trash strewn along the roads (surprisingly wide and unkept). The vendors on the beach at the Dunes were incessant, 10 times worse than I have encountered at any other port.

Aruba...ah...there is one place I could spend a week or more.

Pea

5/9 Golden Princess  [img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;5;9;23;0;00&timezone=GMT-0400[/img]
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/logos/time98.gif[/img]

Great posts! If any of you saved your patters/menus, I would LOVE to put the on my site. I am especially interested in the Classic Southern Caribbean since I am on the July 11th Golden, but also need the Explorer.

On a different note, I am ReaLLY starting to get concerned with the service on the Golden. Many people are poopooing it. Will it get better the more they sail the same itineraries?

[url="http://www.geocities.com/pattersandmenus/"][img]http://www.picgoo.com/uploads/960426124355.gif[/img] [/url]
[url="http://www.geocities.com/pattersandmenus"]www.geocities.com/pattersandmenus[/url]

Golden Princess 7/11/04
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;7;11;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
Big Red Boat-1993 (Amy)
Celebrity Zenith-1993 (Jon)

Jon, I can;t imagine the Golden having BAD service. The staff was outstanding when we sailed her, and Chris had the same experience. If it was really bad, neither one of us would be on this board any more!! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

Sue
7 days on Star Princess 10/24

GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY..... GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL

It was my first cruise on any ship so I have nothing to compare it to. I did not think the service was bad at all. I did not find it overly fantastic, but my needs were definitely satisfied. All the staff were friendly, if not overly so. I do get the impression that some of the guests give the staff a hard time, and my husband and I are very easy to please.

When we first got on, there were no robes. Our steward said they were all still being washed and we did not get until the next day. While I missed my robe the first day, I was very glad they were washed! Our refrigerator did not work and again, it took till Monday to fix, but fixed it was. No other problems with the room or bathroom. Always got clean towels - both bath and pool. Bed always made and turned down. Plenty of chocolate!

Plenty of people from whom to order drinks and maybe not enough to pick up dirty dishes. But again, it did not ruin my vacation. Staff in Personal Choice dining rooms were great - no complaints - had a different one every night as we sat a different place every night.

No problems!

Mary

<FONT SIZE="4"><FONT COLOR="#000000">Bill & Mary</FONT></FONT>

<FONT SIZE="3"><FONT COLOR="#FF0000">Golden Princess: May 9, 2004</FONT></FONT>

<FONT SIZE="3"><span style="border:blue double 5px;"><span style="background-color:#000066;"><FONT COLOR="#33CCFF">~~~ Bummed Out!!! It's Over icon_frown.gif ~~~</span></span></FONT></FONT></p>

Thanks for the reassuring words Sue and Mary! I am really looking forward to it.

I think that many people are expecting Four Seasons quality dining and Ritz-Carlton quality staff. Personally, I am just expecting to have a great time with my DW and enjoy the food and facilities.

960426124355.gif

www.geocities.com/pattersandmenus

Golden Princess 7/11/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;7;11;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Big Red Boat-1993 (Amy)

Celebrity Zenith-1993 (Jon)

And a great time you will have! I was skeptical about crusing - thought it would be too structured - but I can hardly wait for my next one! Wish I had booked it on board! And Princess was low key, relaxed, elegant and fun. I am sorry you wont' get to experience cruise director Graham Seymour - a real hoot - but I am sure they know that the followup act to him had better be good and his replacement will be good too! All in all, I was very impressed with Princess.

Mary

<FONT SIZE="3"><span style="border:blue double 5px;"><span style="background-color:#000066;"><FONT COLOR="#33CCFF">~~~ Bummed Out!!! It's Over icon_frown.gif ~~~</span></span></FONT></FONT></p>

The only bad thing I even heard about was the problem with the excursion desk. We did not experience that problem ourselves and all of our excursions were booked online through the Cruise Personalizer.

Pea

5/9 Golden Princess  countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;5;9;23;0;00&timezone=GMT-0400

time98.gif

The premise of this board is personal opinion. We each share how we feel, and the knowledge we have. But when each of us board a ship, we have to go with an open mind, Excited to finally be there, and look forward to the best cruise ever!! Don't expect everything to be perfect, nothing ever is, but if it isn't momumental, it should not ruin your cruise. icon_cool.gif

Sue

7 days on Star Princess 10/24

GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY..... GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL

On the Grenada day, we had to use tenders, and there was a lot of confusion in the theater where all excursions were meeting as to where to go, when to go, etc. My excursion, Grenada Explorer, was one of the first called, so I can't complain, but know that there were a lot of frustrated people in there. Not sure if it was because of tenders, or what, but the Princess people appointed to "lead" each excursions seemed a little confused too. All other days, when we met outside, seemed to go pretty smooth. Kind of a surprise to me that there were other issues with excursions - did not hear about it at the time. I have no complaints.

Mary

Seems like a really weird question - but can anyone tell me the approximate width of the closet in an outside balcony stateroom (C606). It's really hard to tell from the diagrams. My traveling buddy and I are a couple of women with more clothes than sense!

Thanks icon_confused.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by beth22:

we are going on the Golden June 6. I can't wait to here more about the ship.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey - we'll be on the same trip June 6 - should be fun. Look for a bald-headed dude with a beard with a pretty wife and four beautiful and loud daughters. My girls (18, 16, 12 & 5) want to know if there are any guys their age on board (ha!) Guess I can't bring a shotgun....

Archived