Alaska Inside Passage - Suggestions Please

MauiBowie

This Aug I will be cruising RT on Celebrity from Seattle to Ketchican, Tracy Arm Fjord, Juneau, Skagway and Victoria. Seeking suggestions re: Shore Excursions and Activities. Especially interested in Whale Watching and visiting towns & cultural highlights. Any suggestions re: any of these stops will be greatly appreciated. Thank you, MauiBowie

Do your whale watch in Juneau, ideally with Gastineau Guiding (http://stepintoalaska.com). Some of the best boats out there: small boat luxury with big boat stability, and the best windows for taking pictures. If you're going in August, I'd really recommend AGAINST a whale watch in Victoria unless you confirm that sunset will not be a factor for your cruise date and time in port; we were highly disappointed with our WW in Victoria last August.

If Celebrity offers the small-boat optional excursion for Tracy Arm, DO IT! Ketchikan could be a good opportunity for a bear watch if interested, or lots of other options. Skagway is a tourist trap though the train can be enjoyable; do consider the ferry over to Haines as there's some neat stuff there.

Another whale watching excursion in Juneau to consider is Harv & Marv's. I'd highly recommend it. Liz was our captain last week in her roomy 6 passage boat and our time with her was exceptional!!

Edited by jawhoffman

Do your whale watch in Juneau,

I'd really recommend AGAINST a whale watch in Victoria unless you confirm that sunset will not be a factor for your cruise date and time in port; we were highly disappointed with our WW in Victoria last August.

Thoughts....

• Juneau offers the larger and majestic humpbacks..... Victoria offers the smaller and faster Orcas
  • As humpbacks are larger.... you get more butt shots (tail fins). You are more likely to see Orcas out of the water.
  • I agree Juneau is preferred for the larger whale.

Your ship's excursion list probably has a hundred or more options to choose from. Nothing there of interest ? If that's the case, you'll just need to do a little research to find activities that best meet your interests.

If you want to replicate an excursion with an independent vendor, indicate which excursion and people will recommend vendors for you. Or look thru past trip reports in STICKYs above ... lots of detailed photojournals that will provide information and photos of excursions, activities, and sights. Like this one:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2225981

There are also a couple of books specific to Alaska cruises - Fodor has Alaska Ports of Call and Ann Vipond has Alaska by cruiseship. Both books provide info about each port, excursions, diy options, etc. Learn about each port and what each one has to offer.

Another resource is cruiseportinsider.com.

Have fun planning !